[Reader-list] NREGA article

Baruk S. Jacob b_a_r_u_k at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 18:03:09 IST 2009

dear rakesh,

thanks for the response.

i found this particularly interesting:

> However, the implementation of any scheme is mostly dependent on the     > people who benefit from the scheme, and their active participation in it.

and

> The reason is that in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, there is a huge hue and cry   > raised whenever such schemes don't work properly, or there is corruption,  > and the people also apply pressure to make things work.

why is it, you think, that particular states/regions behave like that? i have heard a similar statement about how the co-operative system worked better in kerala and gujarat (i think it was) than other places because the people were willing to get involved. why is it that some of us do not buy into ideas/systems that would help us? is it a lack in the way it is communicated? is it that we have gotten used to participating in our oppression? why do we regularly beat up pick pockets, yet rarely attack (physically at least) the corrupt? why don't we raise a hue and cry when systems don't work properly? why do people in some states do?

regards,

baruk

[http://bottlebroke.blogspot.com]