[Reader-list] On Delhi

Pheeta Ram pheeta.ram at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:49:49 IST 2009

Dear Zainab and others following the thread,
Your point about a direct and close correspondence between how 'we' narrate
the city and how 'we' perceive
it is insightful. I have a few random thoughts to share.

There are a few preliminaries we need to take into account even before we
make up our mind
to read Rana's piece on (adjectives required) Delhi. Beginning from one end
of the spectrum, the author, the 'class'/es he belong/s to, his intended
class of the audience, the platform/s and forum/s where the piece makes an
appearance, the
'classes' these forums are accessible to. The string can be reassembled
according to one's object and more variables can be brought in to really
appreciate the 'rich' complexity of the "impenetrable" city.But one can
certainly not discuss a piece of writing on a city without taking into
account all these functional variables and constants together and if one
does others need to point out to truly appreciate the effort made by the
writer at understanding the city.

In this age, which most people now like to call 'post-Marxist' or even
'post-capital', the real tragedy has been the concepts that bore currency
during the heydays of Marxist discourse. These concepts had a certain
remarkable potential to render bare the webs of complex relationships of a
society. 'Class' has been one of these concepts which is absentmindedly, and
blissfully so,ignored whenever we talk of such pieces as Rana's. To hazard a
theoretical conjecture: there is a certain invisible compact between the
author and the reader whereby the text becomes a cozy (even if described by
its synonymous "disturbing") habitation for both, a reflection of their
lived relations. Without expending more labour i can say that as one t-reads
line after line of Rana's piece one becomes aware of its implicit horizon of
experience/narration, that is, the boundaries of a particular 'class' or
'segment' of society.

Beginning from the one end, it's now a much worn out argument against
English press or "Indian" writers in English that they have a superficial
understanding of the 'Reality' of India. The argument comes from vernacular
writers/press of course who believe that India resides only in villages and
mofussil towns which the urbane and anglicised "English writers"/press are
justifiably denied access to because of the medium of communication. The
tangle has seemingly been resolved with the understanding that each writer
(especially while writing a 'non-fictional' piece) should be  true to
his/her horizon of experience without trying to co-opt or appropriate (or
monopolise) the experiences ( and categories) that s/he doesn't have a
'direct experiential access' to or atleast must situate him/herself in the
text in his material dimensions. On this account, i would say Rana comes out
clean ( and who am i to give him a clean chit, i ask myself) because he
writes and reports only what he has an 'access' to and certainly doesn't
tresspass (for he can't, certain lifeworlds, or spaces are accessible only
to the 'insiders', its another case whether they can write of them in Granta
or a Sarai mailing list or not). He very honestly limits himself to the
Delhi roads when it comes to marveling at the very overwhelmingly complex
exhibition of "*city's* social relations."

Just imagine the interesting gap between "Delhites" and "Dilliwala". While a
writer writing in English has access to both the terms, a writer writing in
Hindi or Bhojpuri won't be able to appropriate the word "Delhite" without a
reference to the class of people it directly refers to. Recent debate
between "Delhi" and "Dilli" was primarily a class debate. A text is as much
a piece of writing in as it is of writing out:"Delhites admire social rank,
name-dropping and exclusive clubs, and they snub strangers who turn up
without a proper introduction," Rana writes.

Hostility of a city towards its residents is as much imaginary as it is
real. Places are differentially hostile depending upon gender and class. A
lower class citizen experiences a different kind of hostility in a posh
urban residential area or a "gated community" as compared to an upper class
( apologies for dishing out clean binary categories) mobile intellectual
whom the capital drives to unwillingly access places and wrestle for spaces
in lower class ghettos or "slums" which have been patently hostile places in
our cinematic imagination. Why would a Pali HIll resident visit a Mumbai
slum or a chawl? The malls that engender a glitter in our eyes also emanate
hostile vibes towards certain stratum of society. We are always afraid of
the unknown, curious or otherwise. Whereas an army of gated community
residents can march out on a broad daylight jaunt into a 'hostile' part of
the city in order to diffuse that hostility or "conquer" that hostile part
in their imaginations, such luxury is not afforded to the " (hostile)
residents of the hostile part of the city."

Though crude and cliched, these arguments nonetheless afford 'us' a bit of
consumable clarity.