[Reader-list] When was the first time you were told there is God?

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 19:59:12 IST 2009

Ram! Ram! Pheeta Ram Ji

That is extremely well written

Kshmendra

--- On Sun, 8/2/09, Pheeta Ram <pheeta.ram at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Pheeta Ram <pheeta.ram at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] When was the first time you were told there is God?
To: "motherdivine" <rocky.terrain at rediffmail.com>
Cc: reader-list at sarai.net
Date: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 6:57 PM

Mother...How i wish God were "only boxed within religions" but that, as your
divine self has suggested, is certainly not the case. It pervades the ether
we are surrounded/constituted by. It is this ethereal substance that cements
our social relations. But very sadly, it mercilessly divides us when in
moments of "communal" frenzy we helplessly begin wearing our religious
identities as our skins. If it includes the members of one community then it
simultaneously excludes the members of other religions. This kind of paradox
is inbuilt in all "religions" - whether God is in its box or out - like some
arcane software embedded/hardwired into my washing machine which when goes
corrupt there is no other remedy but to replace the "software" itself.

I think the problem i am moving towards defining is not theism vs atheism.
This has been adequately debated in the annals of our intellectual
histories. I have no idea of this "entire gamut of spirituality" that you
are hinting at but according to one newspaper report the word "spirituality"
is the most bandied about and the most ambiguous word of our times to the
extent that it can also we termed as a "no-meaning" word.

Religions, as i wrote before, are living traditions. What would i do if i
stop visiting a temple which i have been visiting for the last at least
forty years? What should fill the void thus engendered? What need to be the
anchor to my reality if i let go or purge myself of the notion of God or
belief in some totem? Such questions stare at my face when i put before you
such an indecent proposal. And that's good. We have been inventing
traditions for so many centuries now, what stops us from inventing some more
that include everybody and exclude none. Why are we so afraid to let go of
certain categories that have been with us since time immemorial? Our
predicament certainly reflects the power that these invented categories have
come to exert upon us.

Polytheism doesn't solve our problem because we even then refuse to take
responsibility of ourselves, our fellow beings, our society, our earth and
our future generations. Whether we believe in One God or have a fractured
notion of God or believe that many heavenly beings attend upon my destiny
the problem remains as i begin counting from "One" onwards. Why is it said
that "God made the integers"? Why is it that theists can live without any
problem in a solitary confinement of a dark cave for as much time as they
want and an atheist would run for the society within 24 hours of
confinement? Who would you prefer: somebody who is happy sitting in some
cave in the himalayas without any concern for the society or somebody who
lives among human beings?

I agree with you, religion is a very very serious business and no "pastime";
its not for nothing that we also talk of economies of religions. From elites
to the masses all are involved in this busy-ness. From elites in their
designer suits to a plain worker in tattered clothes all pay obeisance at
the altar of God or Gods( eventually it comes to number 1). Religion is a
very serious business that also provides us with soap operatic
entertainment. I don't have anything else to put in place of God, and i am
afraid of the void that remains and so i cling on to whatever i have,
something is better than nothing, am i right?.

Its a very very strange thing that it's you who have invoked Marx without
naming him: "Religion is the opium of the masses."
Sadly i don't have a grounding in Marxism but i have been told that many
important experiments were done in Russia and China in its name and a proper
knowledge of the history and practice of marxism would be not out of place
in the context of my line of inquiry. I am depending upon  somebody in this
forum to pitch in from the Marxist side to broaden the scope of my
"proposal" or atleast "cut it to size" but sadly no response is being
posted. And i am terribly afraid to even flip through hardbound tomes on
Marxism. But someday i would, i assure you, though it doesn't and won't
matter even remotely to you.

Che: how i wish i could confess myself to being an expert on Che. That would
need a lot of reading beyond the scope of my present engagements. A
superficial understanding of his life and work gleaned from Wikipedia seems
to be enough for me and i would recommend this small dose to all those kewl
guys who flaunt T-shirts with his face on them.

My purpose of beginning this discussion is not to laugh at the masses who as
they say "live" their religion, and truly so. I think my entire unease is at
the proliferation of hatred against our fellow beings and its invading our
everyday lives. Riots have traumatised our contemporary selves and i shudder
at seeing the extent to which we can go to assert our "religious" identities
not verbally but by writing them with blood on other people's bodies.

According to one science magazine: people who believe in "God," or in their
words "believers," live more happily than the non-believers. Believers even
get well quickly if they ever fall ill. So if i am distraught in casuality
ward of AIIMS trauma centre one sure shot medicine is "belief".  But, let me
tell you that by invoking these categories i am courting the danger of
falling in the usual binary essentialism of "theism" and "atheism." Both are
the same when it comes to defining the identities: the principal marker of
one's identity, whether of acceptance or denial still remains God. If i am
an atheist: i define my identity as being one "who doesn't believe" in God
and there's the rub. Why does God/my religion become the ultimate marker of
my identity? What are the other possible markers that i must "invent" in
order to at least assure the coming generations a riot free life full of
harmony where everydbody takes the burden of responsibility, at least i have
the right to dream about such a society...don't I, motherdivine?