[Reader-list] On Delhi

Zainab Bawa bawazainab79 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:53:22 IST 2009

Dear Pheeta, Taha and all,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. A few things which come to my mind
and I will put them down as I am still thinking:

I think there are a few crises that we are facing today, one of them that I
can immediately think of is a crises of conceptual handles - do old concepts
and categories apply to our present conditions? Even when we think of class,
does class exist in the same manner today as Marx spoke of? What class do I
bracket a poor landlord and a rich tenant? What class does the municipal
clerk belong to given that he also runs a cinema hall in some suburb of
Mumbai on land that he was given as a gift? Or for that matter, figures such
as junior municipal officers who run chit funds and are involved in
complicated financial circuits? How does the category of class account for
the several figures I meet each day who imbibe in them more roles than one
and who are involved with the city in ways more than one?

I think the second crises is that of our understanding of capital and its
relationship with the city. And here, I think Taha's point is very valuable
- how do we narrate land and money? Are land and money vulgar, naked and
ruining the city? I am surrounded by talks of speculation each day. People
talk of homes, of assets, of value and of property in various ambiguous
ways. My friends from rehab colonies ask me:

Is the house where you live in yours or have you rented it?

I answer: I lived in a rented apartment.

They say: Really? You should just go and get your own place.

I say: How can I? EMIs are very expensive to pay and bank loans are like
highway robberies.

They say: Still, you should manage. It is very important to have your own
place.

Here, the interpretation of house as place causes me to think about land,
about property and all those related categories and then also about the
relationships between real estate, land, property, cities and people.

I also think about the notion of justice that is implicit in Rana's piece
and the implications that our understanding of justice and of law have not
only for the city, but also for practice and for theoretical formulations.
About a year ago, I began to sit in on the hearings of a land acquisition
case in the Karnataka High Court. The case was filed by tenant traders
against the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRC). Some of the traders had
been served with notices for vacating the properties they had occupied and
some of the other traders were part of the case because they feared that
significant chunks of their properties would be acquired if the metro is
constructed overground on their road. In the beginning, I was agitated
during each hearing because the case would not proceed and it appeared that
the traders were most likely to lose the case. But as the hearings
proceeded, we found that the judges were as confused about new legalities,
about institutions such as BMRC which are both public and private, and about
the status of such public-private institutions. In the subsequent hearings,
the judges would openly articulate their confusions. But even as they
articulated their confusions, they kept gesturing to each of the contesting
parties to produce evidences in particular directions so that they may be
able to pronounce a judgment. My experience of these sittings has caused me
to re-think the notion of justice. In certain circumstances, the court may
not be a dispenser of justice, but that the judges act as arbitrators. What
makes their arbitration acceptable and legitimate is our belief that they
are operating on the basis of the constitution and other sources of law that
we accept as legitimate, absolute and neutral. Yet, the decision of the
judges is not final and binding. In the case of land and property, it
appears that even after the dispensation of justice and arbitration, there
are numerous factors which create/impede the articulation and fulfillment of
claims by various claimants. While judgments have been issued on this
particular case of the tenant traders, the traders have not given up. They
continue to expand their networks of outreach in order to fulfill their
claims.

I think a final point for today's amblings takes from the above and concerns
our own understanding of change and transformation. Certain narratives
produce the understanding of change and transformation in terms of a
revolution, the film Rang De Basanti comes to my mind here. But the question
is whether a revolution is the only means of attaining change and
transformation? I think here of Asef Bayat's interesting account of quiet
revolution of the ordinary. Bayat talks of how the 1970s revolution in Iran
was not, contrary to popular thinking, an expression of outrage of the poor.
The poor in fact had their likes for the Shah and they did not necessarily
identify with the revolution partly because they did not see how the
revolution would serve their daily needs. I also think of Solomon Benjamin's
recent piece in the International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
(IJURR) on "occupancy urbanism", AbdouMaliq Simon's writing on the
"periphery" in the Sarai Frontiers Reader - I continue to probe what change
and transformation mean and how they are achieved? There will perhaps be no
clear cut answer, but then surely, there will not be one answer only.

Zainab