[Reader-list] condemning ban on Charandas Chor

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:28:37 IST 2009

Dear Rajen,

I will list these injuctions as a special order from Rajendra Bhat
Uppinangadi and use it to my 21st century list of commandments. I am
typically interested in this "mind of a woman" bit about your injunction.
where does it come from sir?

And offcourse I acknowledge the fact Valmiki had undergone immense
transformation to have conjured such words which lead to Ramayana. However,
I think you missed the point. If a dacoit transforms and scripts an epic,
why does a particular community have a problem with Guru Ghasidas's
depiction? Isnt it an engineered protest? When in several versions of
Ramayana and Mahabharata dalits and tribals are represented as Rakshashas,
Mlechas, later "rescued" by their savoirs, Rama or Krishna, there are no
objections raised. There is also no objection for Lankans being depicted as
demons in Ramayana. Because in a plot certain characters are shown in a
light which needs to be understood and contextualised.

Dear Rajen, what do you have to say about Chhatisgarh government conjuring
fictitious names farmers to procure paddy?
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/How-Chhattisgarh-fudged-records-for-multi-crore-paddy-scam/488464/

The names they have made up are also from one particular community.

Anupam

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Rajendra Bhat Uppinangadi<
rajen786uppinangady at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Anupam jee,
>
> Origin of a river, past of an ascetic,  mind of a woman are difficult to
> understand, so do not try say the wise.
>

>  When ramayana was written, the writer was a changed persona, will you
> atleast acknowledge that.......!
>
> Regards,
> Rajen.
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM, anupam chakravartty <c.anupam at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> dear vidya,
>>
>> Very kind of you to use such words. It shows your knowledge. Rishi
Valmiki
> [...]
>> match the emotional ecstasy of an elevated soul endowed with compassion
>> and
>> concern for all living beings. It was in such a state of identification
of
>> the human being with the universal that his immortal epic, the Ramayana,
>> originated from his heart.
>>
>> Valmiki born as 'Ratnakar' is a legendary Hindu sage . He was the tenth
>> child of Pracheta. There is a religion based on Valmiki's teachings and
it
>> is called Balmikism. The Ramayana consists of 24,001 verses in seven
>> cantos
>> (kandas) and tells the story of Rama and Sita. Valmiki Ramayana is dated
>> variously from 500 BC to 100 BC.
>>
>> Maharishi Valmiki is accepted by many Indian communities as the author of
>> the Yoga Vasistha, this particular piece of work was taught to Rama when
>> he
>> was disillusioned with the world in large. The Yoga Vasistha is an
>> incredible piece of text which discusses a wide array of philosphical
>> issues. Moreover, it appears to have been written over 5000 years ago. At
>> his hermitage he taught both males and females. He gave Sita shelter
after
>> her banishment from Ayodhya.
>>
>> The great Valmiki, originally named Ratnakar, was from a Kirata Bhil
>> community. Valmiki Muni was from a backward caste community and his name
>> before he became the Adi-Kavi (prime poet) who recorded the Ramayana, was
>> Vailya. He was trained by the Narada Muni, who is thought to be a devotee
>> of
>> Vishnu or *Narayana. In another legend that goes, Valmiki, originally
>> Valia
>> Koli, was a dacoit and a robber who would rob people passing through
woods
>> and dense forests. He would not only rob out of their possessions but
also
>> cut their ears and wear them in the form of a chain. One fine day, Narada
>> Muni was passing through this forest and Valia Koli happened to confront
>> him. Narada Muni asked Valia if he knows what he is doing. Valia replied
>> saying that it is this which runs his family and the family is aware
about
>> it.* Then Narada Muni asked Valia if his family members would share a
part
>> of a burden of his sins? Valia was so moved with this, he ran back to his
>> home and asked every member of his family if they will share if the
>> situation demands. No member of the family, neither his wife nor his sons
>> replied in assertive. His wife said that the sins Valia is doing everyday
>> are part of his life and it is his duty to feed his family and it is only
>> he
>> who is responsible for the sins he has been committing. Hearing this,
>> Valia
>> changed himself completely, from a dacoit to a Sage. He returned to
Narada
> [...]
>> love, warmth, concern, restoration and healing to the planet around him.
>> These are the vital human values and virtues more accomplished than
>> sermonized by Rama, the man of Valmiki’s vision. These traits of the main
>> character by their instinctive penchant dominated almost all the other
>> characters in the Ramayana. Good and bad are only virtual terms for a
>> great
>> soul like Rama. They do not have any unconditional meaning for him from a
>> comprehensive point of view. They can be changed, altered and converted
if
>> the human advance is maintained with valor, obligation and kindness. The
>> effect of this policy and the values of life finds abundant design
>> throughout the Ramayana.
>>
>> The creative distinction of Valmiki lies in his genuineness in experience
>> and ease in expression. There is tenderness in his words, equilibrium in
>> his
>> emotions and innate glibness in his commentary. He speaks less and makes
>> his
>> characters articulate for themselves. He has an inherent approach into
the
>> soul and a spectacular expertise in restraining the movements and the
>> historic actions of his characters. The secret of his success as an epic
>> poet of predictive vision lies in his all-absorbing penance or tapasya
and
>> unassuming firmness.
>>
>> The intermediary and the communication are equally imperative for the
epic
>> poet and Valmiki has accomplished both. He never thought that his sincere
>> concern for the pair of birds divided by a cruel shot would result in the
>> magnum oeuvre campaigning the basic human qualities like adoration and
>> compassion. It assumed the form of a world classic with a message for
each
>> era to come and for the entire living beings. Valmiki is revered as the
>> first poet, and the Ramayana, the first kavya.
>>
>> ENDS
>>
>> It is a fact that there are several versions of Ramayana written in
>> several
>> languages. Infact, the Prime Minister in waiting L.K. Advani has written
>> about Valmiki: http://lkadvani.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5792
>> My point here is not to cite Ramayana or the mythological stories around
>> its
>> creation. My problem lies with the fact, how a play is being banned
>> selectively by the Chattisgarh government by making tribals as the
>> scapegoat. Just like how many other opportunists operate in that area
>> and cash in on that tribal sentiment.
>>
>> -with regards
>> anupam
>>
>> On 8/4/09, Vidya <joshvidya at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > He was just one of the writers of ramayana. and when he wrote it he was
>> > not
>> > a dacoit you ignonramus ass hole. That he was a dacoit is also not

Indian