[Reader-list] Pakistan bans JuD, LeT, JeM

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:12:42 IST 2009

Dear Murali,

Very few dare to tread on these waters.

 "To understand why the prime minister agreed to make a public reference to
Balochistan, one needs to look at Indo-Pak relations through Pakistan’s
eyes. Although few Pakistanis are willing to admit it openly, the truth is
that the writ of the government has all but ceased to run in Balochistan.
Long before the army cold-bloodedly killed Baloch National Front leader
Sardar Akbar Khan Bugti in 2006, insurgents were blowing up telegraph lines,
oil and gas pumping stations and pipelines every other day. The vast and
forbidding terrain made it virtually impossible for the two divisions
headquartered in Quetta, which was all the army command felt it could spare
from the Indian border, to maintain more than a semblance of control. "

also

"If there is any truth at all in Pakistan’s allegations, Prime Minister
Singh cannot be unaware of it. His willingness to flag Balochistan publicly
may not therefore be aimed solely at Pakistan. It could also be a reminder
to the Indian intelligence agencies that while they will continue to enjoy
freedom of action, this will have to be within the confines of the policies
laid down by the government."

- excerpt from
http://www.tehelka.com/story_main42.asp?filename=Op080809our_old.asp