[Reader-list] UK National ID card cloned in 12 minutes

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 20:16:41 IST 2009

Dear V Murali,

'Bhumiputra' is an interesting notion.

If one is a 'bhumiputra' then one knows that isn't it, so why take a
token from someone to verify that? There seems to be a glitch here
isn't it? Therefore, I am curious to know the nature of the need,
which prompts a 'bhumiputra' to ask for an identity token and the
nature of the need for anyone to give a such a token to ascertain
one's status as a legitimate 'bhumiputra'.

Do you rally think that bhumiputra is a precise social category of
identification or you foresee it as a broad idea/notion which could be
subject to a range of contesting claims?

One more thing- when you say 'bhumi' -what measure of scale are you
referring to?

Is it a- a home, a hospital, a village, an island,  a town, a city, a
metropolitan area, a region, a federal state, a provincial state, a
fantastical landmass, a mythical landmass, a piece of land enclosed
within political boundaries,  or a piece of land enclosed within
geographical boundaries?

Personally, I don't know, therefore I would be glad, if you please
throw some light on this. I also have a feeling that even as a
socio-spatial category 'bhumiputra' appears unsettled, is that so? I
know, I could be absolutely wrong here, but nevertheless, I would like
to know what you think?

Warm regards

Taha