[Reader-list] UID (and privatising social WELFARE) some IMPLICATIONS COULD BE !!!!!!!!!

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:42:16 IST 2009

Dear Vinay,

Thank you for posting this. But do you think that  Indiana is perhaps
symptomatic of a wider transfer of responsibilities to the private
sector from the govt?

That people in many parts of the world still like to entertain an
impression that private sector is the ultimate harbinger of
-efficiency-, is as much a mystery to me as to think why then there is
so much of faith and trust in governments?

With Nilekani at the helm of affairs here, we can perhaps see, that
private sector will be involved in a disciplined manner, by that I
mean, there could be a systematic process of selection and therefore a
possibility of a deeper involvement of private players in the business
of the government. But I wonder, will  these so called private vendors
be not subjected to caste, regional, lingual, religious pressures in
UIDAI?

Warm regards

Taha