[Reader-list] Fwd: A Just Peace in Kashmir? Reflections on

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Aug 9 11:20:35 IST 2009

Dear Rahul,

I don't think Pakistan should get a free pass at all. The ruling
elites in Pakistan have been totally cynical about Kashmir, and have
contributed a great deal towards making sure that the situation is as
bad as it is. Nor am I under any illusion about the state of affairs
in Pakistan occupied Kashmir. Elections in Pakistan occupied Kashmir
have never been free or fair, and it is clear to everyone that a lack
of commitment to the Pakistani dispensation in POK, euphemisticaly,
and in a slightly Orwellian manner, called 'Azad' Kashmir, is a
disqualifier. This is why, 'pro-independence' activists, who while
they may have been supported by the Pakistani establishment, in
Indian occupied Kashmir, have always had a rough time in Pakistani
Occupied Kashmir. There is not much 'azadi' to be had in 'azad'
Kashmir, but to be fair, there isn't the spectacle of the highest
soldier-to-civilian population-ratio, or the Armed Forces Special
Powers Act, either. A simple (and not very radical) move, like
withdrawing the army in Kashmir to barracks, and a repeal of the
AFSPA could make it possible to discuss the equivalence of the
situation across the line of control. Until that happens, I think we
have to accept that the Indian state will get the lions share of
opprobrium, at least insofar as the handling of Kashmir is concerned.

Having said that, we know quite well how the Pakistani ruling elite
has historically handled dissent in East Pakistan and continues to
handle insurbordination in Sind, or in Baluchistan. Those in Kashmir
who see (or profess to see) the political landscape of Pakistan
through rose tinted glasses are either deluded, or cynical.

This situation is not by any means an exception. The regimes of
Saddam Hussein in Iraq and Khomeini in Iran, routinely supported
Kurdish nationalists (as long as they were on the 'other' side of the
border) even as they ruthlessly persecuted the same Kurdish
nationalists.

That said, I think it is churlish to object to Shapiro's text merely
on the grounds that it does not 'do' Pakistan. That would be like
saying, in order to articulate a critique of the Pakistani ruling
elite's venality in say, Balochistan, (which has a lot to do with a
greed for gas) one must mention Kashmir and the Indian state's record
in Kashmir, a thousand times. Shapiro writes against the context of a
massive ongoing and formal/informal public relations exercise that
projects the 'Indian state' as a harmless, 'nice', 'soft' state,
while Pakistan is typically fronted as a near pariah spiralling
towards Talibanisation. While there may be some truth in the latter
assertion, the view that the 'indian state' is something like the
next best thing to sliced bread is in need of some overdue
correction. It is interesting to see how prickly patriotic Indians
have become to the slightest hint of criticism, and how constantly in
need of 'Pakistan' bashing their fragile egos are. As if, if there
were no Pakistan, it would be absolutely essential to invent it, in
order for patriotic Indians to have their little 'hate-fix'. I am
sure this phenomenon is mirrored, like so much else, on the other
side of the border.

Closer to home, we have an interesting example of this narcissism,
this petulance to do with all things 'indian', which must somehow be
the alpha and omega of every discussion. A while ago, (not so long
ago) there was a very interesting post, by Asad Abbasi, which could
have begun a timely and critical discussion on Feudalism in Pakistan.
Instead of discussing the issue, instead of allowing critical voices
from within Pakistan to speak, this thread was hijacked by our 'uber-
patriot' Hindutva brigade on this list, and sidetracked into a
meaningless and irrelevant discussion on faith and conversion, in
India, while the original posting had nothing to do with faith and
conversion.

What should have been an interesting, critical conversation on
feudalism, or at least the persistence of feudal values and mindsets,
in Pakistan and South Asia in general, had to degenerate into a
platform for pious and macho Hindutva posturing.

Till when will people in India think that they are some divine
exception to the generality of the human species, above, beyond
criticism and reproach, ready to leap at the slightest perceived
slight to their fragile honour.

regards,

Shuddha