[Reader-list] Fwd: A Just Peace in Kashmir? Reflections on

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 13:55:33 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha, dear all

"The devil (some say the divine) is in the details. "

wonderful, i like the line, and other nuances/points made by you in
response to the discussioin of Dr. Shapiro's essay so far.

True, all we have words, and the possiblitiy to enter the 'details' is
not unrealistic.Beyond bullets, and 'kan-i-jung( war with stones ) in
Kashmir,  we have words, and other means which are deeply associated
with structure of sounds ( silences ).  And who knows what is hidden
behind 'the detail' which is often brushed aside while we generalize.
Conventionally the texture is subservient to a monument once
appreicated from a distance,but eventually detail inundate the form
once we develop intimacy with a particular monument. . And i beleive,
KSHMIR is a monumental issue and deserves a closer understating ,
which certainly would be markedly different from the usual short-cut
knoweldge on Kashmir.

The details available to us, and i guess Dr. Richard is demanding from
all the players, in and outside Kashmir, to look into the details of
our respective presents, and he hopes that such an understanding might
drastically reduce/annihilate those mind-sets which generate pain.

An inhibitant of a particular area, a writer, a poet, an artist has
her/his involvement with issues ( kashmir and other ) on their own
terms. Dr. Shapiro's involvement from a distance comes from a nobler
thought: vital and universal values of human beings on earth.

Yes, Dr. Richard can not be part of the detail in Kashmir: for example this:

Druing my shcool days, while going to shcool which was across the
river Vyeth ( Jehlum ) we often met a neighbour, Mohd. Ali along with
his three or four cows to feed them outside Dara Shikou garden in
Bijbehara. He used to laugh and smile on seeing us. He was sanwala (
Krishana like dark skinned ) curly haried with a beautiful face in his
40's. He was always wearing clean clothes not usual to those who were
in his profession. Once, he told us, or we came to know through some
body, that he was a student of LLB in Ali Garh university and left his
studies midway.  The reason: he could not live without his mother. He
missed her beyond his control.

Now, by the usual standards, he is a failure, but his strong
relationship with his memmory of  his mother is beyond the purview of
an outsider. I guess, sometimes, we have no mechanism to judge the
other.

Similarly, there are thousands of other details wihch makes a place
profoundly interesting to an individual and thesociety she/he lives
in. Language is another area which becomes vital to a society and so
retains the fragrance of memory...

Yes, my association with memory in Kashmir: we had a huge poppy field
behind our school, and the smell of it as we know is very strong. Now,
if i  happen to smell opium or a poppy flower, i quickly remember by
school days. I see the colour of the flowers and the school uniform
simultaneously.

Distributing kashmiri kulcha ( dry kashmiri bread ) , layered with
poppy seeds, at JNU's arts and aesthetics,  during a small group show
was also loaded with such a texture/memory.

So, i believe, detail/texture is very close to performances. And
strangely, i feel why, hysterically, people come to streets....

the reason must not be only political, but something deeper...

with love
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com