[Reader-list] on Delhi

subhrodip sengupta sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in
Mon Aug 10 09:28:54 IST 2009

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: subhrodip sengupta <sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in>
To: Readers list Yousuf Sarai. <reader-list at sarai.net>
Sent: Monday, 10 August, 2009 1:57:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] on Delhi

U know, I attended a seminaar by some reknowned Social Worker. Evry 3rd line was 'Aur Ma-beheno ke saath shosan hota hain!' (for present purposes,chicks not allowed!) Hilariously, most of the so called moms and sis left the discussion tired of the topic. True a hilarious note, but neither an insult, U know, I am poor and am sure the book'l take some time to reach the libraries, so hav no right to criticise;
nor an inabbriated a/c of a frustrated denpo(A person who thinks knows too much). Somehow amongst all crimes, only rape seems to be highlighted. However, leaving the mentality of MAle-dominated lineARAGE, I'd argue that though these have diraect physical and hormonal damage, as far as mental trauma is concerned many crimes are as bad.  I argue the hymen exists elsewhere... There are many good things about feminism, but this I feel is a another form of reductionism.  Thankfully there exists something which still arouses the society...................

This was a hilarious start to some more grave issues, precisely 2 distinct one which I wish 2 take up, I ought have taken one of  them, concurrently 2 weeks ago, but precisely for long hours involved in editing, very conviniently shirked.
First on Gurgaon:
What I have learnt is in many pockets, Rickshaw pullers are called on their mobile phones,a truely novel thing...........
My experiences are quite vivid with a similar, may be not in terms of investment and culture, but in pattern of development, Dwarka, on which I'll try to jointly elaborate on this issue, involving the 'biker Gang' as well(they include not only sikhs or even jaats but Biharis and UP'ites as ell)
In every other convergence( classical ) model of 'development', we talk of convergence, adjustment of MPL/MPK( through various mechanisms, including learning in classical sense), a term which is dubious, for the latter is indeterminate,  promoted by free trade, What happens actually is quite different thing. Leaving out things like Wine, labour constitutes nearly 70% of a commodities cost. So, in development, in order to keep feed of properly skilled or highly skilled labour, at cheap rates, we need labour or mass labour to be cheaper....................... We can say thus two roads are created=== a high road, of people who can really afford the 22K+ flats in Gurgaon and the super-expensive sabzis et-al max cost extracted by the rentier clas and the Haftas, and outsiders, who have no stake in the place's culture. While Gurgaon even gets it's skilled feed from adjoining places like Dwarka, most of the workers in both places come from neighboiuring
 villages on Haryana which have their own culture, law and governance. The result is both the defenders and offenders come from the same place and culture, while the beneficiary or the woman on the street is left moire vulnerarable. However I'd reject all stories of reporting a crime which I fell are consoling stories, and attribute to the records of increasing crime a simple tendency Voyeurism, looking through Key-hole, diversed from immidiate society in immadiate conomic relations, a man does not 'belong to' his surroundings, nor a woman! A dead body was taken from a pool in Dwarka, A row of appartments lay opposite to the site. A amn robbed of his car and stabbed. There he lay, who knows alive and yet no body reported. MAy be of fear of getting picked up. But why, not even later?
Another experience, quite distant explores deeper in. We have all seen stories of gals getting harrassed in hotels. Yet many of the good ones are strictly reluctant to keep a single woman sans indemnity from any influencial group. In villages they give shelter, in cities, devoid of clan and confidence, we turn essentially voyeuristic and sarcastic of everyone else, thus finding a friction of cultures here. In villages since a city dweller doesnt get mixed with them , except where he tries to snatch land from them, they are usually friendly.............
Incity,a race is on A dal is on betting for union, Boldly, rules are broken, women insulted called randis, though I do not find any abuse in that except victinsising and mass humiliation, the conflict goes on. Here we are biharis, punjabis, tamils, marwaris, jainsetc, conflicting with each other out in the open. The friction of values much stronger. , , , ,  , , That is why women get little support and shelter here, because of dogmatism and narrow interest politics. Delhi is an elaboration, not an exception(Based on true experiences at a Kalibari at Safdarjung Enclave).
Yup Gurgaon is gliterring coz it is newly planned, but we need expert health care etc there too!