[Reader-list] A Just Peace in Kashmir? Reflections on

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:21:27 IST 2009

“No one in Kashmir lives under any illusion that they will have
their own army--what for?”

The above line by Mr. Junaid is a real find, a jem like, in the dust
of Kashmir discussion so far, and results are before us. Mr. Kshmendra
who out rightly dismissed Dr. Shapiro’s essay suddenly found Junaid’s
response ‘ a very sensitive and thought provoking’. I guess, it is
lines like these which will bring more supporters to Kashmir cause.

And I quote Junaid again
“Kashmiri resistance needs to move ten steps
if it wants its well-wishers to move one.”

Right now, it seems, those  (supporters like us ) who are living
outside Kashmir (including Dr. Shapiro ) are moving ten steps and the
players on the ground ( Azadi leaders) are moving one.

I am saying this because, there are yet no signals from the resistance
camp(s) to declare the agenda on the lines Dr. Shapiro mentioned in
his ideal state, which, I guess all of us dream about. But, as Junaid
too somewhere talked about a  need to underplay the ‘”glorious past “
if “azadi” which resembles’ Liberty'  on the battle field is to be
followed, because it is the ‘ the present’ of our beings  what finally
matters , and perhaps we are all about the  “always-to-come , in  a
Derridian sense.”..

So, things don’t come to a full stop here. I believe, even if an
independent Kashmir is another Islamic state, we all may support it
even then.  Yes, as I said earlier, people like me ( sort queer ) will
find it difficult to live in Kashmir, ( comperatively outside Kashmir
is freer as Junaid  said ) if the constitution of a new Kashmir finds
inspiration from Islamic sacred texts. Nothing wrong for the masses,
if they approve it, but in that case, friends of Kashmir like me have
no choice but to engage ourselves with the saner part of that
artists/poets/intellectual community which is presently opposed to a
new free Kashmir based on some ideology.  So, in  this sense, I am not
too worried about Dr. Shapiro’s pointed, out of place criticism,
‘”cultural annihilation”’ by Indian rule in Kashmir.

 So naturally, Kashmiri pandits, Sikhs, homosexual, prostitutes, Shias
, queers, etc wont be part of that new free state, which we need not
regret, because if Majority of Kashmiris are ready to celebrate minus
these riders then we too may support.

Then perhaps, we will do the same what we are doing right now. Talk
and talk to the people and about the people who automatically will
find meaning in  Dr. Shapiro’s agenda for a multicultural free society
based on ethics and new ways of living.

It is here, i feel compelled to think about the ways which Socrates
employed: talking to the other, to discover questions within
questions, which perhaps, ultimately leads an individual to that (
hysterical ) KNOW THY SELF.  He had the luxury of a direct contact
with the players of the state, we have the written word, which has
both merits and demerits. Let us see which ‘performances’ in future
are willing to absorb our thoughts in words, which are somehow woven
with what Socrates was intensely engaged…

So, it is about us in the final analyses.  It is about me, who knows
that the world is in great stress, as Foucault too feels that human
beings are hastening to bring a quick end to this world. For example,
right now, sadly, we have no space for glorious Cheetah in India
So, I believe, a free mind should not oppose ‘the Azadi’ sentiment, or
something similar to that, even if it is based a false promise of a
state based on ethics and multicultural open society etc.  We need to
develop a habit to give away things which we possess so dearly. In
this case India should throw away her obsessions of Kashmir and face
the chaos left behind. In a stranger sense, we will notice that modern
world  can not be controlled in a china-wall like strucure as in the
past, but in future the boarders may become meaningless with a demand
for more and more human mobility. That is sheer optimism as well, if
we underestimate the growing number of  Surveillance  Systems around
us

Right now, no body is perfect in a perfect country. Let us imagine: a
new Kashmir, even if imperfect, as a dream, and dreams are always
different from reality. But it is our birth right to dream…

With love
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com