[Reader-list] universal civil code

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:09:22 IST 2009

Dear Malik

One of the reasons this has happened is because of poor literacy rates,
particularly of women, in such regions as well. I am pretty sure that
Haryana has a poor literacy rate of women. What is more, such cases also
ensure that the sex ratio is skewed. This has a deteriorating effect because
studies show that districts which have a lower sex ratio have a higher crime
rate. Hence, in particular we need to do things about it.

And the first way, one may go, is changing the public opinion, which is
possible through the media and through newspapers. One of the bigger
failures of our democracy has also been that our political leaders are more
interested in votes rather than ideals and understanding the issues
properly. We can't send the Indian Army after all to kill the male heads of
these khap panchayats and teach them a lesson for 'not modernizing', so as
to nullify the vote impact totally.

Why not our media channels go to these places and have the Sardesais and the
Barkha Dutts have the debates in these villages? Who knows, what changes
couldn't be brought till now may have to be brought in because of this.

Regards

Rakesh