[Reader-list] A Just Peace in Kashmir? Reflections on

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 20:43:58 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha, Dear Jnuaid

so far so good. both of you have debated passionately about Kashmir. i
am glad to read all of it.
Shuddha has rightly pointed out :

"My position on Kashmir has to do with the nature
of the occupation, not with the identity, or the anxieties regarding
identity, of either those who are suffering from the occupation, or
those who have been displaced by the logic of the occupation"

and very few on the list will post their disagreement on it, unless
the person is a old nationlist nothing wrong even with that, as long
as it peacefully done.

i quote Shuddha further.

"Had I, and several others like me, not persisted in making our stand
clear, over several years, in the face of determined (and I have to
say, in the main, cynical) opposition from within the 'left-liberal-
secualr-soft nationalist' constituency in India, I doubt if we would
have the (not insignificant) space we do have to debate the entire
matter of Kashmir in Indian public fora today"

This is really true. and it is here, i am also inclined to write about
those 'cynical' voices in kashmir who destest any revival or mention
of cultural activism in kashmir. And i think we need to applaud those
who contiuned to engage themselves with differnet cultural
expressioins in the valley. The threat  from those who consider it as
conspiracy against the freedom movement is real. I really endorese the
view that expressions on art and culture should be left alone and
allowed to reflect the situaition or a reality or a history of a place
without any pressure or threat.

So, on the ground there are two schools in kashmir. One, which is
mainly dominated by journalists/intellectuals and other graduates who
think that art and culture can wait till KASHMIR ISSUE is resolved.
and the second school is of the opinion that art, music and culutre
should be left alone. for example, i met an artist in Srinagar
recently, who strongly debated with his friends on the issue. He
agreed with me that the domain of art should be left alone, to
express, to deal with the issue(s), and there is no questiion of
accepting the heirarchary of the first shcool.

Strangly, the first shcool, which is indiffernt to ( both old and new
) cultural practices, are overwhelmingly dominating our social set up,
both inside the kashmir and outside. Culure was always on the
backfoot, but yes, post 1990 scenario in kashmir has given ample
ammunation to the indifferent-culture front in kashmir.

The presence of Indian security forces in each and very mohalla in
kashmir has really aborted any attempts to restore cultural life in
kashmir. It is here, Dr. Shapiro's term ' culural annhilation' should
be understood. The uprising in 1990 along with the unprecedented
violence by hidden players in kashmir ushered in an era where Indian
Security Foreces can be squrely blamed for this Cultural Annhilation
in kashmir. The shoool which is already indifferent to anything other
than 'freedom' issue in kashmir  was alway grinning about the little
cultural face in kashmir. Then the reasona of that ' cultural
annhilation' were of course different. For example, wine shops and
cinema halls were attacked during Sheikh Abdullah's time. The Jammati
islami face of KASHmiri politics was always encouraging the first
school, and they must be happy that they have a deep net working of
sorts at their command.  The loss of kashmiri sufi msic and poetry in
that case is not regretted by this first school, but the second
school, pro- culture, who happen to favour ' independance ' of kashmir
 at the same time want to understand kashmiryat on their own terms.
The first school's priority is a merger of kahmir with pakistan, which
i feel, are intellecutally in minority.

It is the second school, pro-cutlure which is open to debates of
'multiculturalism based on ethics' in a new free kashmir as against
the first shcool.

the question is then what is culture. Perhaps, it is not simply
talking about culture as a token presence in our daily life. But a
reinvigorated face of culture does mean some intense music, poetry,
theratre and writing workshops on all subjects, No, it must be
something more than what we already know.  Yes, anything, of course,
but  without any pressures or guidelines. The second school of thought
needs encouragement and support.

The question therefore arises, if there is some support coming from
indian institutiions to initiate some exercises with a long term
benefit in sight. what then? I know there, are some  Left leaning art
organizations in India who refuse funding by Ford or something which
has american name attached to it. I dont see much merit in the
aversion to the source of of funding. Again, it is open for debate...

REcently there was workshop conducted by INTACH for a workshop on
theatre, writing, photography, and painting in downtown srinagar. I
was there, as a visitor, and i found the participants extremely
involved and happy to be part of that exercise.

I guess, such exposures on culture and other modern ways of
understanding it only help the individuals to understand their
respective present/conflicts in a better way, than living in
isolation.

with love
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com