[Reader-list] Go, Fly A Kite!

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 13:30:23 IST 2009

Dear all,

Here is the slightly longer, original version of a text by me on Kite
Flying that appeare in the latest issue of Outlook, to mark the 15th
of August. The version published in Outlook, titled 'Freedom on A
String'  is at http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?261336

Apologies for cross posting on Kafila

best

Shuddha

-------------------------

Go, Fly a Kite

Shuddhabrata Sengupta

There is almost nothing about rituals of statehood that appeals to
me. The speeches leave me cold and patriotic anthems are the worst,
most ponderous form of music ever performed or invented. As for the
pomp and circumstance of parades and other solemn but pathetic
attempts at grandeur - they only repeat their lessons in how distant
the apparatus of the state actually is from the lives of citizens.

  Typically, my attention, when flags are raised up poles, is less on
the flag and more on the sweat on the brow of the man doing most of
the actual hoisting. Because flags, like nations, get stuck in their
destinies, and sometimes have to be tugged at vigorously to open and
flap about, or let loose their meagre shower of yesterday's
desiccated flower petals. The palpable anxiety of the hoister (who is
worried about what might get written into his confidential report if
the string snaps, or the flag stay’s tied up) and the thinly masked
frustration on the visage of the attendant dignitary, (be they the
principal of a school or the president of a republic ) who wants it
all over and done with as quickly as possible, are the two
performances that I find most moving on these moments. Apart, that
is, from the sporadic defecations of ceremonial cavalry horses,
caparisoned elephants and aloof camels brought out to lend the parade
of the moment a touch of bio-diversity. Somehow, they ring truer than
most other attempts to mark such occasions.

  Republic Day, with its pornography of ordnance, enormous waste of
public money and tacky tableaux is probably the worst offender, but
Independence Day, with its schoolchildren bused out to the Red Fort
in Delhi and made to suffer the humiliation of security checks at the
crack of a humid dawn, doesn't rank far behind. They, (the
schoolchildren at Red Fort) lose a well-earned holiday, and nowadays,
the rest of India gets a pious homily from behind bullet-proof glass.
Rather than being an occasion for quiet, sober and perhaps personal
reflection on what liberty might mean (especially when so many
subjects of this republic are denied its substance) and whether it
really needs to come all dressed up in the masquerade of a hollow
state ritual, Independence Day has become an empty vessel for an
increasingly narcissistic commemoration of what it means to simply
'be' Indian, as if that were of any real consequence. Meanwhile, the
violence that marked partition, co-incident with 'Independence', goes
un-mourned in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The bizarre
continuities, ranging from law and governance to the arcana of state
ceremonials, between colonialism and its posthumous progeny -
republican nationhood, remain un-reflected upon. What we get instead
is an annual faux carnival of top-ten lists to do with an invented
'Indian-ness' dished out by magazines and television decked out in
tri-colour bad taste.

  But there is something about the fifteenth of August that still
means a lot to me, and that isn't about flying flags. It's about
flying kites. The fifteenth of August, as anyone growing up in North
India ought to know, is really all about manja and pench, about
letting loose a full throated cry 'bho-katta', when an airborne kite
snaps from its string in the sky, and the mad run and skirmish for
its capture that follows before it hits the earth.  Its about
decoding a persons passions from the colours they choose for their
kites, about learning to test the strength of paper and to sense the
wind by licking your finger. These, and other elementary lessons in
areodynamics are still reasons to look forward to the fifteenth of
August each year.

Perhaps it's a throwback to the boyhood thrill of holding a taut kite-
string in the precarious rooftops and bylanes of a ‘refuzee’ colony
in west Delhi, head cocked up, eyes locked in a steadfast gaze intent
on scanning the clouded August sky, tracking distant, tiny but
majestic diamonds of colour as the kites danced to the wind. Their
flight taught me more about ‘attaining liberty’ and their spiralling
descent more about ‘losing it’ than all the civics lessons on the
meaning and significance of ‘Independence Day’ ever could.

  Anand Bakshi, in writing the lyrics for the film Kati Patang,
(Drifting Kite) did not know that he had, perhaps unwittingly gifted
us with the one of the most pithy ways of thinking about the destiny
of nationhood and nationalism, that at least I know about. As the
song goes, 'Na koi umang hai, na koi tarang hai', -  there is neither
a surge, nor a wave. Ships of state adrift in still, motionless
waters, their flags just about fluttering in a spent tailwind, are to
me like so many kati patang, drifting kites; neither surge, nor wave,
and certainly no pious ritual, can lift them out of their torpor.

  What can one do, in such circumstances, but heed the call of Mary
Poppins and her friends, Mr. Banks and Bert, and simply, 'go fly a
kite'.

  "With tuppence for paper and strings

You can have your own set of wings

With your feet on the ground