[Reader-list] Absence of Husain at Art Summit

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 16:15:07 IST 2009

Dear Murali ji

Let me answer some of the questions you and Mr. Rajen have asked or raised:

1) First of all, it's perfectly legitimate according to me, at a personal
level, if any God or Prophet is painted nude, whether it be Christ,
Mohammed, Ram, Shiva, Durga or anybody else. The reason for my argument is
simple. When you stop or restrict someone from making a painting, it's a
restriction on the freedom of a person from painting something. And more
importantly, assuming the nude painting is made, it's not a restriction or
infringement on the freedom of someone who has been depicted in the
painting, as far as Gods or Prophets are concerned.

This is important to note, because in case of say someone's mother or wife
being painted nude, it could be a kind of restriction or infringement
because it may depict someone in a certain manner. This is also why MMS
clippings of heroines or girls is strictly abhorred.

2) The way a person takes such issues is for him/her to decide. The Gods are
not subjected to unfreedom. And as far as the person is concerned, if the
person feels that such a painting is not right form of depiction of his/her
beloved Lord, he/she has a right to protest (though that does not mean
indulging in violence, which I believe all of us will agree on). Similarly,
the person has the freedom of seeing or not seeing such paintings, and
therefore that right has also not been usurped upon.

Therefore, again this means that people have the right to depict Gods in the
way they wish to. And those who don't like it equally have a right to
protest. But that shouldn't mean indulging in violence. So the protests
against Danish cartoons, as also that against Hussain's paintings are ok,
(and even those against paintings made in MSU) are fine, with me, as long as
no violence takes place. In all the three cases, it has taken place leading
to beating up of the student to burning of embassies, which should not be
tolerated in a civilized society.

So, therefore if someone feels he/she is offended by such paintings, either
ignore them or protest against them subject to conditionality of
non-violence, and thereby ensure you don't usurp the freedom of others.

Is that so difficult to accept?

Regards

Rakesh