[Reader-list] . In Praise of Jellyfish by Soren Kierkegaard

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 16:45:10 IST 2009

"...There is a creature about which I shall fall into reverie rather
often - it is the jellyfish. Have you noticed how this gelatinous mass
can flatten itself into a plate and then slowly sink, then rise, so
still and firm that one would think one could step on it. Now it
notices its prey approaching; then it funnels into itself, becomes a
pouch and sinks with prodigious speed, deeper and deeper, with this
speed snatching its prey - not into its pouch, but into itself, for it
is itself a  pouch, and nothing  else. It is so able to contract
itself that one cannot imagine how it could possibly extend itself. It
is just about the same with you, and you must forgive me that I have
not had a more beautiful creature with which to compare you and also
that you perhaps can hardly keep from smiling at the thought of
yourself as nothing but a pouch."