[Reader-list] India on a list of countries which have failed to protect its religious minorities adequately

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 17:49:34 IST 2009

Murali,

Jeebesh is right, except that Indonesia is the worlds largest (by
population) Muslim countriy. Not the second largest. And here is a
list of 19 other Muslim majority countries that are not Islamic
states, or do not have Islam listed as state religion.

Burkina Faso, Gambia, Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Chad, Djibouti,
Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Tajikstan, Turkmenistan,
Uzbekistan, Albania,  Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo,
Palestinian Authority and Turkey.

There are several other countries, which recognize Islam as a state
religion, such as Egypt but are still not 'Islamic States', that is,
they are not governed by Islamic law

Only a third category of states, which includes, Iran, Saudi Arabia,
Pakistan, Afghanistan etc, can be strictly called Islamic States, in
that they are partially or wholly governed by Islamic law and
recognize the Sharia as a source of law and jurisprudence.

Please take the trouble to make credible and factual statements as
far as possible when you seek to impose your opinions on this list.

Shuddha