[Reader-list] Highlights of PM’s Independence Day speech - 198

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 18:48:05 IST 2009

2008 Highlights
(http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/highlights-of-pm-manmohan-singhs-independence-day-speech_10084297.html
)

*Country is witnessing unprecedented economic growth at present, and
is likely to be similar this year as well.
*Country has not witnessed such consistently high growth rates since
1996.
*If current momentum of growth is maintained for next five to ten
years, eradicating poverty, ignorance, hunger and disease is now a
possibility, and not just a dream.
.It is time to create history and build a new India, where no barriers
between the Government and the people.
----------
2009 Highlights
(http://blog.taragana.com/n/highlights-of-pms-independence-day-speech-140260/
)

* Restoring growth rate to 9 percent is the greatest challenge we
face. We expect that there will be an improvement in the situation by
the end of this year.
* Appeal to businessmen and industrialists to join in effort to tackle
difficult situation and fulfil their social obligations.
---------

What happened in this one year, after self claimed unprecedented
period of 10 years?