[Reader-list] Ai Wei Wei and the Chinese State

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 19:03:36 IST 2009

Avant-garde artist Ai Weiwei, one of China's foremost public
intellectuals, was recently detained and beaten by police when he
attempted to testify at the show trial of dissident Tan Zuoren in
Chengdu. Harassment and threats are connected, in part, to his "Names
Project," a performative intervention which aims to compile, publish,
disseminate, and memorialize the names of the thousands of children
who were crushed to death en mass in their "crumbling tofu
construction" schools (the rotten fruits of official corruption and
kickbacks) during the May 12, 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake, while
neighboring government buildings stood intact. The State has strong-
armed bereaved parents into silence, refused to investigate government
corruption, and barred the victims' names from public release. Ai
Weiwei's vocal defiance has led to his censorship, intimidation,
threats and now arrest and beating.

  Having spent the first 2 decades of his life with his father, the
revolutionary poet Ai Qing, in a cadre labor reform camp for errant
intellectuals, Ai Weiwei understands that no one in China, no matter
how "high profile" is ever "safe. Thus, he has chosen to push the
State as far as he can in an attempt to reclaim the public sphere for
critical discourse, and champion the cause of free speech and genuine
citizen and human rights in China. As such, he has willingly put
himself in a great deal of danger. His recent statement merits
reposting. I hope that you will pass this on and share it with others
who believe in the need to nurture and support critical public
intellectuals, especially in places like China, where there are so few
such clarion and courageous voices.

  "Watch out! Have you prepared yourself?" -- Ai Weiwei: "I am ready.
Or, perhaps I should say that there is nothing to prepare, no way to
prepare myself. A person--this is all of me--is something that can be
received by others. I offer up all of myself. When the time comes when
it is necessary, I will not hesitate, I won't be ambiguous about it.
If there is anything that I am reluctant to leave behind it is the
wondrous miracle that life has brought me. And that miracles are that
every one of us is the same, that people are equal in this game, as
well as the fantasies that come along with playing it, and our
freedom. I regard every kind of intimidation, from any kind of
'authority or power' [sic - the character is for quanli as in
'rights', but from the context this appears to be a typo, perhaps?],
as a threat to human dignity, rationality and reason--a threat to the
very possibility of opposition. I will learn to face and confront this."

Monica Narula
Raqs Media Collective
Sarai-CSDS
www.raqsmediacollective.net