[Reader-list] India on a list of countries which have failed to protect its religious minorities adequately

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 20:34:10 IST 2009

dear Rakesh,

the point you raise are significant.

the conceptual fusion of state with the people keeps lot of thinking
going. the assumption is that the social fabric is the state. and
state is all of the society. well even orwell did not gesture to this
kind of fusion!

so much of the posting here assumes this fusion. on the other hand
anyone can see that states are becoming more powerful and coercive.
instead of asking why would this be happening, we are told that it the
nature of the people that demands this. and if you can give an ethnic
or an religious turn to the people, then the argument is suppose to
totally buffer itself from any further investigation.

if we could unpack this assumed fusion, maybe we can return some
dignity back to the generative social tissues that we all see around us.

warmly
jeebesh