[Reader-list] Invitation to the screening of The Other Song

India Foundation for the Arts contactus at indiaifa.org
Mon Aug 10 11:08:09 IST 2009

 Bangalore International Centre
in collaboration with
 India Foundation for the Arts

Cordially invite you to the screening of the film

The Other Song

Directed by Saba Dewan
 (This film was funded by India Foundation for the Arts’s Arts Research and Documentation programme in 2002 and 2005)
The screening will be followed by a Q&A session with the film maker
Venue:   Bangalore International Centre, Bangalore
Date:   August 29, 2009
Time:   6.00 pm
(Entry is free)
Please register with Bangalore International Centre on 25359680
You may also RSVP Vindya on contactus at indiaifa.org

  In 1935, Rasoolan bai, the well known singer from Varanasi, recorded for the Gramaphone a thumri that she would never sing again- ‘Lagat job anwa ma chot, phool gendwa na maar’ (My breasts are wonded, don’t throw flowers at me). A variation of her more famous song -  ‘Lagat Karejwa ma chot, phool gendwa na maar’ ( My heart is  wounded, don’t throw flowers at me), the 1935 recording, never to be repeated, faded from public memory and eventually got lost.

India Foundation for the Arts (IFA) is an independent, nationwide philanthropy, professionally managed, and dedicated to strengthening the arts in India.  IFA has funded 249 projects across 22 states dedicating a sum of 13.4 crore to the Arts. We support research and practice leading to films, books, artworks, archives, exhibitions and performances. We help to bring the arts into the classroom. We fund the preservation and transmission of valuable cultural knowledge. We offer advice, information and expertise related to the Indian arts.