[Reader-list] Map of Mughalistan

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 05:51:53 IST 2009

Dear Murali

Let me speak of another assumption which is wrong again. In India, you would
also agree, that the bureaucracy (along with our political class, in
general) is one of the most corrupt in the world. Our record of corruption
prevention is the most pathetic. And I have not seen any one individual in
the middle class, who feels corruption is right or fair or just. Though
he/she may have given a bribe (and some of them may have even accepted), in
general they have accepted that corruption is wrong.

But I haven't seen the middle class venting out their anger on the streets
against corruption, unlike say some of the tribal members or say in some
cases the poor people who may go on dharnas (like in case of RTI which was a
movement against corruption). Does that mean that the middle class supports
corruption? If I were to accept your arguments as of now, I would have to
accept this as well.

The assumption that because Muslims don't go out on the streets protesting
terror attacks (unlike say in case of Danish cartoons), they support the
terror attacks is wrong. Infact, Muslims have a double-edged fear; on one
hand is the fear of losing their lives in the blast, on the other is losing
their life of dignity by being captured as the 'mastermind' of a terror
attack. After the Ahmedabad blasts, each day the mastermind used to change.
And of course, the way the police investigated the Aarushi murder case is
out there in the public domain for everybody to look at.

My argument therefore is that just because someone doesn't come out on the
street does not necessarily mean that he/she supports the opposite of those
who do come out. Hence, making such assumptions is wrong and must be
seriously avoided.

Regards

Rakesh