[Reader-list] India on a list of countries which have failed to protect its religious minorities adequately

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 14:33:07 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha

1. "Allah" and/or variants of root of the word (as name for GOD)  do belong to Semitic traditions of the Jews  and you pointed out to some Christian sects also.

I am not aware if the phrase "Allah u Akbar" (on the OIC flag) also belongs to similar traditions and is in use amongst any other that Muslims.

Even if it were to be used in some pocket, I do not think that the Christians and the Jews in general identify with that phrase or would see it as being anything other than a  Islamic declaration.

Educative as your comment is, it is not pertinent to recognising the character of the OIC or of the inscription "Allah u Akbar" on it's flag.

Obviously Israel or Christian or Christian majority countries also see it differently (not only because of the OIC flag but also it's Charter and other characteristics) and are not a part of the OIC.

It is likely that one day/night there will be two moons in the sky when another planet spirals out of it's orbit. That is a doomsday scenario (in astrophysics).

2. NAM was a grouping meant to be outside alignment with the Power Blocs of the Cold War.

Your point is valid that (howsoever loose or firm the alignment may be) countries like India and Egypt continuing to be a part of NAM is a contradiction.

That exactly was my point. This that such countries who may not be declaredly Islamic or may not have Islam as State Religion or have Islam incorporated in their Laws, but are a part of the OIC are presenting a contradiction.

Such countries, are (internationally) declaring themselves Islamic by the very fact of being a part of the OIC. That is how they need to be recognised Internationally. I do not think that I need to give details on the Islamic character of the OIC. Anyone can see for themselves at http://www.oic-oci.org/home.asp

Shockingly, the OIC has a permanent representation in the United Nations, which is (at the very least) an informal recognition of the World divided along religious lines.

Kshmendra

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Aug 15 19:41:12 IST 2009

On the other, other, hand,

Just as the members of the non aligned movement, such as Egypt and
India, while locking themselves into military alliances with
superpowers, are so, so, so, non-aligned ?

And by the way, ask any arab christian what they call god, and the
answer is likely to be Allah. At least that was what i heard in a
syrian orthodox liturgy in a damascus church. So are we going to call
arab christians, muslims now?

best

Shuddha