[Reader-list] Highlights of PM’s Independence Day speech - 198

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 16:44:56 IST 2009

Hi (to all)

I have some very basic questions regarding the PM's speech, because there
seem to be interesting connections between what he said and what his govt
has done (or ministers of his govt have done):

1) Firstly, the PM has warned hoarders and black marketers. Probably he
forgot that since the past 3 years, food prices have been increasing as like
never before. I read somewhere that 2004-2009 was the period of highest
increase in food prices in history of independent India, considering 2004 as
the base index to measure this increase.(Even assuming this is not true) If
the PM knows that it's the hoarders who are the problem, shouldn't he also
mention steps in and outside the Parliament, taken to stop hoarding and
black-marketing.? (Of course, some economists attribute high prices to high
MSP's of food crops in India, and some to the non-procurement of pulses and
oilseeds by the FCI, thereby leaving it in private hands).

Instead, all this while we have heard the ministers of the govt say that the
prices will reduce with increase in supply or vice versa. But only now has
Sharad Pawar acknowledged that the increase in prices has a connection other
than that of good monsoon and drought. Will he try to find this connection?
This is also critical considering the importance of the Right to Food scheme
as well, which the UPA has announced in the Budget.

2) The govt keeps on talking about growth in agriculture. But except for
increases in the allocations to agricultural sector in the Budget, the govt
has done virtually nothing. Again, I remember having read multiple no. of
times, including from that famous scientist, Mr. Swaminathan, that we need
to invest in research in agriculture; just giving rural credit at 4-5% is
not going to help, even if the reach of the public sector banks were to be
ensured for the rural populace (to save them from the money-lender's wrath).

What is the govt thinking of therefore, by just increasing allocations this
way? The strangest part is that the varieties which were indigenous to India
are now being patented by multinational companies and therefore our own
farmers, can't use varieties which were used since several generations (talk
of loss of our heritage, comes to my mind here). And these varieties were
patented due to their high productivity and better resistance to pests.

3) The govt was actually asked to ensure universalization of ICDS
(Integrated Child Development Scheme) by 2008, but it has shifted that goal
to 2012. If the govt has so much amount to spend on defence and corporate
subsidies, couldn't it have spent adequate amounts of money on ICDS and
other schemes which are much beneficial for the poor. (Recently, I read that
at least 50% of the population must be given BPL cards.* And I correct one
more information which I used to give repeatedly on this forum. 80% of
people in India don't spend more than Rs. 20 a day, as used to my earlier
statement that 80% of people in India don't earn more than Rs. 20 a day. I
apologize for the same.*)

4) The govt. has proposed to make cities slum free. Does the govt know that
in slums like Dharavi, people in slums engage in activities which ensure
they are categorized as self-employment? And by that I just don't mean those
who repair cycles or those who repair electronics. That also includes some
self-entrepreneurs who actually make commodities using their own labor and
that of their families. There are many who get employment locally in the
slums this way.

If the houses were to be constructed, then where would these people be able
to carry out their occupations? Already, there is no extension of the NREGA
into the urban areas (probably due to fear of the corporates). And when the
houses are built, they would have no place to actually carry out their
occupational work. This would result in encroachment of footpaths and other
public spaces, in due course of time, and further urban mismanagement. All
this just to serve the purpose of real-estate sector giants who will build
the houses with the govt paying for them. (and thereby also relieve land in
the process for further construction purposes)

Does the govt have an alternative plan to provide suitable markets for these
people who will lose their livelihood this way? Or have the ministers in the
govt sold themselves to the giants for money?

5) The PM says what others have said repeatedly, that participation in
Assembly and Lok sabha elections indicates the support of the Indian state
in the minds of people of J & K. But voting percentage being higher need not
necessarily mean support of the Indian state, but could simply mean support
of democracy as a method to rule, as also conducting elections. Also, there
have been reports in the local media in that state of how candidates were
given money to participate in elections and ensure a better voting
percentage for elections. Has the PM even heard about them? And what about
removing AFSPA? Or is that just separatist talk, and has nothing to do with
democratic rights of the people?

6) The govt. talks about improving accountability under NREGA. But from what
I know, the NREGA asks for a 'Grievance Redressal Authority' to be built up
at State and National levels to ensure that complaints are taken care of. It
is absent in almost all states of India. Why couldn't the govt implement an
act which it had itself taken an initiative to get passed in Parliament, in
its totality, is something I can't fathom.

And recently, the govt has taken the initiative to ensure that works for
small and marginal farmers' lands will be done under NREGA, without having
discussed it either with those organizations who were fighting for the
introduction of such an act for many years, nor with the people who work in
these jobs in some measure (like some organizations). This when such
organizations have been fighting tooth and nail against it, stating that
such a recommendation would lead to non-transparency of working of NREGA.

The govt may also like to answer about the Telecom Scam, the Rice Scam, the
criticism by CAG of the 'Admiral Gorshkov' deal, the high costs involved in
the 'Arihant', the malnutrition rates of India, the criticism of the Indian
Railways by the CAG for its various initiatives, the working of the Surface
& Transport Ministry under the previous UPA govt, the high MSP's (and their
effect on food prices) and of course, the deadly duo of inflation and
terrorism.

Regards

Rakesh