[Reader-list] Highlights of PM’s Independence Day speech - 198

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 20:45:56 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh

You comment "it means that 80% of the Indians at least live below Rs. 80 per day, which is factually true going by the NCEUS report" was ..... an amusing play of words.

The World Bank usually gives figures on the basis of PPP.

Your currency conversion for In Rs under PPP is not borne out by any known data (to the best of my info). From where did you pick up the rate of $1 = Rs 10?

For the International Dollar the factor in 2008 is generally reported as between 2.65 and 2.74 for the In Rs.

$2 (under PPP) would therefore at worst be around Rs 35 (nominal rate Rs 48)  and Rs 29.19 (nominal rate Rs 40).

You seem to be keen to accept the National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector (NCEUS) figures as being correct. Your choice.

Kshmendra