[Reader-list] India on a list of countries which have failed toprotect its religious minorities adequately

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 08:03:22 IST 2009

"Burkina Faso, Gambia, Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Chad, Djibouti,
Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Tajikstan, Turkmenistan,
Uzbekistan, Albania,  Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo,
Palestinian Authority and Turkey."

Are these countries? or you just imagined them? On a more serious note,
Turkey's case is interesting. There is a tussle going on between the army
and intelectuals on one side and the current elected government on the
other. The army wants to keep the country "secular" (perhaps a Turkish
Islamic fanatic might use the term "sickular") The army has toppled
governments in the past when it thought the government was not respecting
the secular credentials of the country.
Turkey, in fact, is much more "sickular" than India. The women cannot use a
veil in the academic institutes. And, apparently for that reason many women
are bereaved of education as their religion does not allow them to go to
public places without a veil. Recently the elected government was trying to
make a law allowing women to cover their faces in schools and colleges and
the intelectuals/liberals in Turkey were quite offended by it. Such a law,
they argued, violates Turkey's secular credentials.

On the other hand, when France disallowed the use of any visible religious
symbols on any person in the academic institutions, the French liberals did
not like it.

So we have 2 cases of secularism. If I am asked to choose between secularism
of Turkey and secularism of France, I will choose the latter.