[Reader-list] a letter to Sarai admin

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 10:43:12 IST 2009

Dear Sarai readers, especially the admin
We have discussed this a million times, but the habit of a few people to put the entire list (of 2000+ subscribers) on ransom by only discussing their favourite topics day-in and day-out doesn't seem to stop. I am not in favour of moderating or censorship (and I love freedom of speech), but those of us who post 40 emails a day should at least think about the excesses they are creating in the world.

Sometime ago someone had suggested that each subscriber should be restricted to post a certain number of mails a day (maybe 2 or 4). Why can't we follow something like that. I wonder if the Sarai list has the technical options to automatically restrict people from posting in excess, but something needs to be done desperately. These days, whenever I have any conversations about Sarai among friends, everyone seems to have grown fed up with it - many are thinking of unsubscribing or already have. Simply deleting or ignoring the mails or applying filters is not enough. Because one usually is tempted to subject headers, and one opens the Sarai mails with a lot of expectation. But many a times, one gets disappointed to see a sort of personal chatting going on.

Why are we doing this hara-kiri in the name of freedom of expression.

Yousuf