[Reader-list] Sunderban Diaries

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Aug 17 16:50:46 IST 2009

dear All,

I am posting a text by a 10 years old. He is a friend's son. I liked
this dairy. The weird thing is that all that he sees and shares is
totally under threat. Maybe 20 to 25 years down the line the tiger
would have disappeared and water polo may not be a joke anymore.

Sometimes the simple innocence can make us wonder what we are bring
into our world.

love
jeebes

Sunderban Diaries

  25th May, 2008: Came to the Sunderbans today. At Goshaba Ghat, we
took a launch that took us to the resort where we were staying. We
were staying in a hut thatched with straw. We had lunch, fish curry
and rice (I hate fish but my father said we must eat what we were
given) and took another launch again to see a river. I saw an osprey
feasting on a snake. But sadly there were no crocodiles to be seen. I
stayed on the launch till 5 p.m. Then returned to the resort, had
dinner and went off to sleep.

  26th May: I woke up in the morning at 6. We carried our breakfast to
the launch. I saw people fishing for little tiger prawns. There were
no crocodiles because it was too hot for them. Our guide told us that
in winter, the crocodiles came and sat on the banks in the sunlight.
Suddenly, a fin came out of the water. My father shouted, ‘Look a
Gangetic Dolphin.’ I was so excited that I almost fell into the water.
At six, we returned to the resort. We saw tiger palms where tigers
hide in the daytime. The trees have similar colours as the tiger skin
and they camouflage the animals. But alas, no tiger!

  27th May: Today we decided to take the launch right into the
interiors of Sundarbans. There I saw the famous mangroves, the sundari
trees that give Sunderban its name. Mangroves are trees that breathe
with their roots, which go underground but come up again. They just
look like steel spikes except that they don’t come out of concrete but
mud! Some trees were standing in the middle of the water. I had
already seen the picture of a delta in a map but now for the first
time, I saw one in real life.

Later, on a forest reserve base camp I saw a green tree snake…hissss!
We also saw some deer swimming and crossing the river. I saw a
crocodile at last! It was at least ten feet long and it was half
hidden in the water. It had big yellow eyes with slits. This place is
called Sudhanyakhali. Behind an embankment, some boys were playing
football. My father said when the embankments break, they will be
playing water polo.

I remembered watching the water as our launch moved: it was covered
with oil and grease left behind by passing launches like ours. The
water was greenish brown and during low tide the silt caked our feet.

Ritwik Saha

Std VI, Springdales School, Pusa Road, Delhi.

Age: 10 years 7 months.