[Reader-list] Baroda -- nargol

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:48:08 IST 2009

ATTN DESK

EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

VADODARA, AUGUST 18

Following the rampant discharge of hazardous waste from industries in
Sarigam Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) flouting Gujarat
Pollution Control Board (GPCB) norms on to the Tadgam beach in Umargam
taluka of Valsad district, Sarigam Industrial Association has decided to set
up a Common Effluent Treatment Plant for the industries at the cost of Rs 12
crores. On the other hand, seven days notice were given two industries which
have been not been treating the industrial effluent in a proper manner.

According to the President of the Sarigam Industries Association, Shirish
Desai, one or two companies in the Sarigam GIDC have been discharging waste,
which is causing problem for all the industries. “Therefore, we have decided
that we will install CETP for the industrial estate here. It will be on a
Private Public Partnership with 80 % funding from the state government,”
added Desai. “We have sent notification to the industries to immediately
clean up their effluent treatment plants in seven days,” he said.

Meanwhile, the villagers from Tadgam and neighbouring Nargol have said that
there were no actions taken by the GPCB on the industries that have been
polluting the area. The villagers headed by Sarpanch of Nargol, Yatin
Bhandari, met Union Minister for Forests and Environment, Jairam Ramesh last
week to discuss their issues. “We showed him that how industries were making
our miserable by dumping harmful chemicals on to the sea. We have told him
that no pipeline for any discharge would be allowed to pass through from any
of the coastal villages. The minister assured us that immediate action would
be taken as it is a rampant violation of not just GPCB norms but also CRZ
norms,” said Bhandari.

ENDS