[Reader-list] Jaswant’s Jinnah -view across the border

Rajendra Bhat Uppinangadi rajen786uppinangady at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 18:06:59 IST 2009

Dear all,
   neither Nehru nor Jinnah are easy to forget, both were human beings with
human fault lines, and the fault lines were hidden for too long so that the
chasm had to be maintained for the sake of power, if Nehru had agreed for
the suggestion of Mahatma, to agree  of Jinnah being the prime minister,
being senior in Indian national Congress, the independence would have meant
lot much more, would not have resulted in the great "sacrifice" of Nehru of
all his assets to the nation in family held trusts.But enthusiasm of Nehru
to be the "first" PM has had been his undoing, and today we have Gandhi
s who are now  no way Gandhian, even remotely with his principles of life,
used only for enhancement of their asset base in swiss banks and on the
stadias, ghats of New Delhi.!
As to Jinnah, it was the isolation policies of Nehru and his chamchas, that
many likes of Jinnah, Nethaji  Subhashchandra Bose,  who was elected
president of INC had to forgo leadership to please this debauch man of
Nehru.

 Regards,

Rajen.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Taha Mehmood
<2tahamehmood at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear Asad,
>
> Contrary to your fears I think the memory of Jinnah is not going to
> fade away in near or in far future primarily because the memory of
> people like Jinnah is, of course, etched in foundational narratives of
> modern south asian nation states. Jinnah like figures are always going
> to be deeply polarizing figures. They will always be revered in some
> places and hounded in others. As chacha Ghalib says- 'Jab tawwqo he
> utth gai ghalib, kyon kisi ka gila kare koi'. I don't think that
> 'tawwqo' or attention on these people is going to go away ever. The
> editorial also gives a predictable spin by explaining a 'foreign'
> event in locally understood idiom.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Taha

Rajen.