[Reader-list] "We Are All Hindus Now"

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 17:10:30 IST 2009

Dear Ram,

Many thanks for saying: "Hindu is not 'a' way of life, but an agglomeration
of different distinct ways of life, the way people lead it. Even Islam and
Christianity can have different ways of life, because life and the way one
leads it is a matter of individual choice and constraints, which may not be
necessarily same for each and every individual."

My argument here about Hindu being a way of life just like Islam or
christianity is broad generalisation of the categories employed by readers
on this list to argue the politico-religious differences between organised
religions. sometimes, unfortunately i also tend to forget that how so many
diverse schools of thought have become this agglomeration. so if you give me
a chance i would rephrase my argument again:

"IF There is a hindu way of life, just as you have an islamic way of leading
life, a buddhist, a christian monk .."

Thanks again. i hope the other list members instead bickering over the
larger religious issues especially getting carried away by an opinion piece
written with the help of statistics and pop religious ideas, read what Ram
has to say about choices and religion.

-Anupam