[Reader-list] What if Jaswant was a Muslim

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:02:55 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh

you are partly right, although examples are slippery.
I guess, Hussain as ' Dhak Dhak girl like Madhuri Dixt' ( as Geeta
Kapur  explained while talking on Hussain's exile ) had penetrated the
phyche of Shiv Sena/BajragDal/BJP combine to the extent that even
Hindu Gods themselves coming nude on earth would be stoned to death by
these goons and lunatic fringe  of our society. Perhpas, the student
artists Chandramohan was seen as extention of Hussain, as antoher limb
of  other Vishnu, to be amputated, and so will be all the artists if
they dare to draw a Hindu deity in in future.

Well, here ,  jaswant's Jinnah is  completely moulded with a different
aim and objective. Jaswant, perhpas, used Jinnah to demystify
Patel/Nehru and Gandhi to some extent. I have not read the book and
neither i have any wilingness to read the book written by a stupid
politician wirter. There must be other reasons for his ouster. We all
know, that Advani praised Jinnah as well, and with what logic he
ousted Jaswant? It looks like a paty of dacoits who can kill their
friend after 30 years of friendship , just for writing a book. If he
was so intelligent, he should have realized the cannibal in Advani
long before.

We have  many reasons to celebrate Hussain, although i dont rate him
as great artist, but with Jinnah we have none to celebrate. As Shyam
Bengal too said, that we have no other way to understand Jinnah, as
someone who masterminded the idea of partition ....even if there were
valid reasons against arrogant Nehru/Patel combine

Jinnah painted only one canvas in his life. The creation of Pakistan,
with one colour only.  India started with three colours at least, and
Hussain added colours to this unique Nehur's dream. Here Jaswant
rightly points out that Nehru did not let Jinnah paint the entire
canvas himself. I dont know which way Jinnah would have given free
hand to other smaller artists to fill their spaces with their own
colours, given the presences of hundreded of  powerful princes in
India, it would have been loot for the space of limited canvas, At
that time, Nehru was right then, but it is only now that we feel that
decentralization  of India is a better option.

Mountbatten, as  British policy, i guess would have loved to see a
horrid mess of colours as free independant India. The blood red of the
partition is on their hands as well. as much as it is on the hand of
Jinnah, Nehur and patel.

Hussain is a political project, which Jaswant should have taken rather
than Jinnnah. But he is illitrate to realize the important of Art and
culture in life. Some within BJP like Arun Shourie might be thinking
of importance of Muslim votes for party but i guess helping return of
Hussain is most crucial to India, than counting the bones of Jinnah in
his grave.

with love
inder salim

--