[Reader-list] Smart cards for ESIC beneficiaries launched-210

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 27 18:51:09 IST 2009

Dear Jeebesh,

Could I suggest that I was expecting a charming sort of reply like
this one, dazzling with a brilliance of conceptual clarity and
metaphors. Many thanks indeed. I think your argument for market
libertarianism is infectious. The representatives of smart card
industry from all the world over would absolutely love to hear more.
At least with hyper statism there is a lot of hope. They are all
monomaniacal utopias doomed to implode within but to argue for a
public spending of 3-4 times 1.5 lakh crore simply to escape a
phantasm of hyper statism is something incredibly ingenious. My
congratulations for coming up with such a sensitive defense of the
smart card industry.

BTW with hyper statism one at-least knows who the enemy is and
therefore as the Indian experience shows- it can be negotiated with
over time but with vendor driven, contractor led, sub-sub-sub
contractor operated machinery of the State, I am not sure how that
kind of a completely opaque scenario be tackled.

Warm regards

Taha