[Reader-list] Fwd: Banning Jinnah

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:03:06 IST 2009

There is indeed a widespread belief in India that M.A. Jinah did stand for Hindu Muslim unity. His opposition to Mahatma Gandhi's Khilafat movement fearing en mass mobilisation of Muslims because of the issue is also well known.

 But it was Jinnah's only 'direct action' programme that started the cycle of communal blood shed that set the ground for vivisection of India.
It is also said that he was accorded an unsavoury reception by Kashmiris then at the Kohala Bridge to thwart his attempts to seduce them. Yet Pakistan continues till date to fuel secession in the name of religion in Kashmir.

Instead of revisiting history that leads to reopening of the wounds periodically & sudden sense of insecurity in Pakistan, it would be better for both India & Pakistan to accept each other as a reality. Partition can not be undone. That is the only way to transform this most hostile neighbourhood.
Yet there can be no justification for banning the book unless the contents were likely to start a riot.
Regards all
LA