[Reader-list] Marichjhapi and the Revenge of Bengali Bhadralok: The story of a Dalit Genocide that remains untold

saswati ghosh sg_cal at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 00:51:48 IST 2009

does these anywhere mean bengal politics, left-far left-centre-right, ever gave space to any caste/ethnic identity? the east pakistani, then usuallly hindu, first lot upper caste, subsequent lot lower castes, always held the popular basis of the left in the late forties-early fifties. the first meeting of refugee committee (UCRC) formed and led by the left, had no reference to any demand for population exchange like punjab, proper rehab, rather they had demands against any collaboration with imperialism etc!!!

so far, the only authentic history of the post-partition refugees, forming of refugee colonies etc, can be found in 'marginal men' by prafulla chakraborty (again a brahmin refugee and historian by profession, received Rabindra Puraskar (prize by the wb govt in the name of RNTagore, one of the most revered prizes in west bengal for his history of the french revolution in bengali) had no reference other than from newspapers. thus has been the extent of silence on refugees from east pakistan/ b'desh. does it not contain any caste aspect? thats why I find marichjhapi a continuation of that lack of concern and not (possibly merely) militancy neither lack of resources or mismanagement.

only now these aspects are being questioned. and namashudras have come into discussion because left-secular (incidentally brahmin) researchers like sekhar bandyopadhyay has worked on them and published them in the 'revered' journals!! again an amitav ghosh case!!

not only caste, ethnicity has received similar silence. there has been so much support for singur and nandigram, but comparatively little for lalgarh. may be the violence of non-state actors in lalgarh has a role to play in this mute response, even then, little space for any identity, gender, caste, ethnicity -- any dimension other than class has ever seemed politically correct in bengal!!!

best

saswati