[Reader-list] Using RTI by Panchayat elected reps to get expenditure details

lalitha kamath elkamath at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 15:45:59 IST 2009

I am posting this because it might be of interest to members of the list.
Posted from the Solutions Exchange Decentralisation Community:

Dear Friends,

We are two
members of the Decentralization Community
who are interested in empowering Panchayat Elected Representatives and Gram
Sabhas in using the Right to Information to obtain expenditure details for
their Panchayats from relevant Departments. For this purpose, we have developed
some guidelines on which we would like members’ comments and inputs. (Please
see http://solutionexchange-un.net.in/decn/cr/res04120901.doc ; Size: 128 KB)

We have had a lot
of discussion on this forum on decentralized planning, the latest instance
being the discussion on the BRGF programme. One of the hindrances of achieving
meaningful empowerment of Panchayats through the decentralized planning route
has been the inability of higher levels of government to make available the
details of their budget envelopes to each Panchayat. It is only in very few
districts has this been achieved, that too with great difficulty after patient
work by the Technical Support Agencies. The decentralized planning handbook
brought out by the Planning Commission has devoted an entire chapter to this
issue, but it is still not followed on the ground.

All of you are
well aware of the importance of the Right to Information Act and many might
have used it already. You are also aware that citizens have been using the RTI
against the Panchayats, particularly in the case of NREGA. Taking a cue from
this, a while back, I had mooted on this forum, the idea of Panchayat elected
representatives using the right to information on a large scale on behalf of
their Panchayats to obtain details from all relevant departments about the
funds that they spend in each Panchayat’s jurisdiction, so that they can
inform their Grama Sabhas about the money spent. This would empower Panchayats
in the following ways:
(a) Its large
scale is impressive (b) It can be legally enforced and it puts pressure on all
departments to be accountable,(c) When Gram Panchayats obtain a large range of
budgetary information, it can lead to more confidence and greater assertion (d)
It fortifies the faith that Gram Sabhas have in Gram Panchayats. When informed
discussion takes place in a large number of Gram Sabhas on the amount of money
spent (or claimed to be spent) in the Gram Panchayat area, they will surely
spur people into demanding that this money should be given to the Panchayats
instead of being spent by line departments. Therefore the pressure to devolve
more to the Panchayats will come as a groundswell from below.

However, one does
not know whether this was actually picked up, except in a few cases. Now, two
of us have teamed up to renew this effort. We have attached two files, which
contain some simple instructions to follow, namely,

·         Part 1: A set of simple action
points for the Panchayats to follow to undertake this task,
·         Part II: A Format in which the
request can be made to the department concerned by the Panchayats, along with
instructions on how to use the format,
·         Part III: A list of commonly faced
obstacles when seeking information and how to overcome them.
·         Part IV: An illustrative list of
departments that could be approached.
(For Parts 1-IV please see http://solutionexchange-un.net.in/decn/cr/res04120901.doc ; Size: 128 KB)

·         Part V: The latest list of
centrally sponsored schemes, which gives you an idea of which schemes to
prioritize, while seeking information from departments. This is contained in a
separate excel sheet. (Please see http://solutionexchange-un.net.in/decn/cr/res04120902.xls  ; Size: 88.5 KB )

We hope that
members of the Decentralization Community
will find our work useful. We invite your comments on the documents prepared by
us.

On our part, we
hope to pilot the process with some Gram Panchayats in Karnataka. We would like
to emphasize that all that we have put out is entirely ‘open
source’, you can use the formats, translate them and use it on one
condition; that you put out your experience in this initiative so that the
collective body of knowledge of the Exchange can grow. Our work is just one
small step forward.

Some ways of
making the movement a success are as follows: (a) Give massive publicity, (b) Undertake
steps such as calling Grama Sabhas and submitting of the petitions under Right
to Information Act in a campaign mode, on pre-determined days across the State
(c) Pick and choose departments where the use of the right to information
returns the maximum dividends. (d) Give other departments adequate warning that
they will be taken up next and that they had better be ready with the
information (e) Prosecute a few government officers who have resisted giving information
as test cases. (f) Keep the State Information Commission informed in advance of
the effort and he can promptly take action when appeals are filed

We welcome your
suggestions for the improvement of the formats.

Sumana Baliga,
T.R.RaghunandanBangalore