[Reader-list] Swiss referendum

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 17:10:14 IST 2009

Hi Patrice,
Would be interesting to know what the arguments of your friends are.Arguments against referenda are not an argument against democracy itself. In any case I feel uncomfortable if all parts of a constitution is subject to the unfettered tyranny of the majority,without being subject to judicial review.
Some of my friends have argued that judicial review is nothing but elitism where the zeitgeist is subject to the snobbery of a few learned people.I do not necessarily see it as such.I see it as a check/balance which can guard against temporal swings in opinion.After all,the judiciary  is protecting nothing else but the basic principles upon  which a particular constitution is based on.
In a country like India, such a "referendum happy" direct democracy is difficult to implement because of reasons of logistics,so here this issue would probably have been framed as a power struggle between the legislature and the judiciary. Here, judicial review is important because legislature is not the same as direct democracy and till the time the legislature goes back to the peoples' court again the judiciary should be there to protect the interests of the people
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK in India judiciary has the right to review everything.This may probably slow down change but as I said earlier is a good check against temporal frenzy.
I have thought about this and probably I would go with a system in which the heart of the constitution is not sacrosanct but it can only be changed after a given number of consecutive referendums(not one) vote for the change.

Thanks

Rahul