[Reader-list] Shopain ( kashmir ) Murder and Rape

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:12:14 IST 2009

Dear Inder ji

With all due respect, yes I agree that our nation-state has not fulfilled
many of its' goals since independence. It has forgotten the man whom it has
crowned the Father of the Nation. Not only that, it has forgotten the very
ideals and dreams it had sold to its people in the name of creating it. And
today, all those lie in despair, as if something has been raped and beaten
black and blue. Probably our hopes. Probably our honour and dignity.
Probably our enthusiasm. Something else as well.

Having said that, as I said, sentiments can be respected, but these
sentiments must be backed by facts. I still request you to kindly provide
news headlines and other clippings at least, if no report, of the kind which
can certainly put the point across that there has been mishandling of the
cases and that the CBI report is not worth what it is claimed to be.

As for keeping pressure, we certainly must keep pressure. I feel that Indian
democracy is not a democracy, but simply an autocracy where people have
simply gifted their so-called representatives a chance to loot and rape the
country's resources as much as they can, and sell it off like prostitutes.
We haven't realized it ourselves. And before I sound off like a Leftist, let
me claim that even the Left in India has done the same thing, like the Right
and the Centre.

Any democracy is actually a democracy when citizens engage themselves in the
day-to-day activities of the govt. and the state. That has been completely
lacking, and when I say that, it's not only the rich and the middle classes
which have not engaged themselves. Even the poor can share that part of the
blame. It's time we wake up from our slumber, wherever we are. Otherwise, I
don't know about being a world power (and I hardly care), but we are going
to be the country with the largest no. of world poor, largest no. of people
suffering from malnutrition, anaemia, TB and AIDS, and the country with
largest scale of corruption as well. And we would deserve it, like it or
not.

Rakesh