[Reader-list] NFC-Yes!; NRO-No! Bravo Pakistan

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 23:51:02 IST 2009

rahul, kshmendra:

i am not sure what K's argument is. I agree, i dont buy the coup argument.
it is only politically obfusctory.

the army is on the defensive since musharraf and hesitant to play a open
role in politics.

secondly, it has taken liberties during the war in FATA along the afghan
border and killed indiscriniately and caused massive displacement of people
6-7 million ! without adequate redress or arrangement. some were made. So
everyone here knows that its is no holy cow, which might be the impression
across the border.  The army knows this and is trying to clean its image.
besides its massive budget takes away from the education and health budget
(there is 50% illiteracy !). Its proper place is the border and barrack, and
so it is also not a dirty pig, while it may have to return to being a guard
dog ! good dog !

third, oversight of army is desirable and its the right direction at the
moment. would require more stability tho.

rahul, the defence minister incident is some underlings acting up, its made
to be seen as judiciary vs executive  :)  it will be played down.

best