[Reader-list] Panun Kashmir statement on 'Justice Sageer Ahmed Report' on Autonomy

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 22:49:10 IST 2009

fyi

 ----- Original Message -----
 *From:* Ajay Chrungoo <chrungooaj at gmail.com>
*To:*
*Sent:* Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:07 PM
*Subject:* statement of Dr Chrungoo on Justice Sageer Ahmed Report

Editor,

The reported submission of the report of the Working Group on Centre State
Relations chaired by Justice Sageer Ahmed has come as a rude shock to me. I
have been a Member of the Working Group since its inception in 2006 and have
attended all the meetings, till they abruptly stopped in September 2007. At
no point of time were the Members told that the Working Group work was
concluded. In fact, in the last Working Group, we were given to understand
that the Group would meet again to finish the remaining agenda of the Group.
The Chairman in the very first meeting had assured us that there would be
either a full consensus or no consensus, and no voting ways would be
adopted. In other words, we were assured that there would be not even a
majority report.

It is intriguing that the Report which has been submitted to Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah has not been discussed with the Members. No attempt to drive a
consensus was made at any point of time. The agenda which was left uncovered
was also not attempted to be finished in the last two years.

It seems from the above that this Report is a personal view of Justice
Sageer Ahmed. It cannot be called a Report of the Working Group.

I dissociate myself from all the contents of this Report in totality.

I also condemn the entire process which was followed to conclude this Report
in secrecy and submit the same in secrecy without taking the Members of the
Working Group into confidence.

Dr Ajay Chrungoo
Chairman, Panun Kashmir
Member, Working Group on Centre State Relations