[Reader-list] "Kashmiri florist gets Stree Shakti Award"

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 15:56:38 IST 2009

"Kashmiri florist gets Stree Shakti Award"
Afsana Rashid
Srinagar, December 29

Nusrat Jahan Ara, a Kashmiri florist, is among eight women entrepreneurs who have been recently conferred with the TATA TiE Stree Shakti Award by the Tata Group and the TiE Mumbai chapter.

This award is given to outstanding women entrepreneurs across the MSME (micro, small and medium enterprise). These awards are given to recognise the growing aspiring role of Indian women in business and comprise a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, each.

“It is great to receive the award. It is encouraging for entrepreneurship. I joined the field that was new, but my family supported me throughout. Without their support I may not have succeeded in getting this position,” said Nusrat.

Nusrat (petals agritech) received the award under the small enterprise category at a function in Mumbai recently. Her work was highly appreciated. Thirtyfour-year-old Nusrat is regarded as the founder of cut flower industry in the state. She entered cut flower business in 2000 with literally no financial support. Now, she is recognised as the most successful women entrepreneur in the Valley.

With her determination, she has established herself as a successful businesswoman with the annual turnover of her business unit touching Rs 2 crore. She now owns the state franchise of the country’s largest chain of fresh flower stores ‘Petals n Ferns’.

“As a Pan India initiative, the programme aims at connecting women entrepreneurs from different socio-economic strata and celebrate inspiring women entrepreneurs in the country,” believe the organisers.

A graduate in computer applications, Nusrat comes from Dadoora in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. She broke all odds and went on to set out an example. She started a business that was unheard in Kashmir. “I wanted to start a business that was new. Cut flower was the best option”.

The Grassroot Entrepreurship Monitor (GEM), commissioned and conducted by Indian consulting group, identified the needs of women entrepreneurs across three segments that is, aspiring, grassroots and mid rung across the country.

According to a press release, the conference is part of a larger platform. “The Tata TIE Stree Shakti seeks to reflect the growing role of women in Indian entrepreneurial eco-system and enabling aspiring businesswomen to realise their dream of running own enterprise successfully through educational programmes”.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20091230/jkplus.htm#7