[Reader-list] my view on cellular silent day on 30/01/09 by Ranjan Kamath

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:00:55 IST 2009

Dear Bipin

I take your word that this time Modi did not use HIndutva as an
election strategy. This time the strategy it seems was more self
aggrandizing. The 'Chappan ke Chaati', 'Maut ke Saudagar' or the 'Modi
Masks' and so on. Modi's rhetoric was also carefully crafted to
include the audience.

There were reports about he used a uniquely
christian strategy of catechisms to involve the audience. For instance
how would ask a question, where do you think Lord Ram was born? The
audience would reply in unison- Ayodhya. Then Mr. Modi would lampoon
Congress, to the effect that- you, the common people of Gujarat know
the answer to this question but those who are born in Italy and who
now run our country think that Ram is a mythical figure. The audience
will burst out laughing.

It is also reported that each local RSS  handlers were assigned a row of
audience. They were given a list of
all the questions and answers in advance and when when Mr.Modi spoke
everybody in the audience was ready for an engaging drama. Where was
'development' in this strategy?

If Mr. Modi is an efficient chief minister then why is it that more
three crore people are dying of hunger in his state or are suffering
from malnutrition and low body mass index.

Regards

Taha