[Reader-list] today at ViBGYOR2009: National Conference on Food Sovereignty

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:11:42 IST 2009

http://2009.vibgyorfilm.com/programmes/national-conference/

ViBGYOR National Conference-2009
`Food Sovereignty'
Wednesday, February 4th, 10am-4pm

OUTLINE

9.30am: Sangeet Nataka Academy. Thrissur premises
*
Inauguration of the `Farm & Food Fair'*

10am: Regional Theatre

*Inauguration of the National Conference*

*Dr. Viswambharan, Vice Chancellor, Kerala Agricultural University (KAU)*

10.30am: Conference

*Moderator: Smitu Kothari, Intercultural Resopurces, New Delhi

Key Note: `Food Sovereignty and Food Security

Dr. Kamla Bhasin, former Member, FAO*

(Tea Break)

Presentations:

   - * Food Swaraj: Initiatives of Gramswaraj across India*: Kalanand Mani,
   Peaceful Society, Goa
   - * Grasroots fighting the global GM giants*, Sathish Garu, Deccan
   Development Society, Hyderabad
   - *Impact of Climate Change on Food and Agriculture:* Dr. Prasad Rao,
   Dept. Of Metereology, KAU, Mannuthy

12.30 noon: Discussion/Q&A

1.00: Lunch

2.00-4.00: *Panel Discussion: People's Movements for Food rights:*

*Moderator: Rajaji Mathew Thomas MLA*

   - *Fishing and/as Farming: Fisherfolk's perspectives on Food and
   livelihood* Kerala Swathanthra Matsya Thozhilali Federation, Trivandrum
   - *Rural Women for alternative farming modes and models*
      - DDS, Hyderabad
      - Utthan, Ahemedabad
      - Abhivyakti. Nasik

4.00: Concluding Session

*APPEAL : *

As with any people led initiative, ViBGYOR film festival has been facing
severe financial crisis. In spite of support from local groups, activists
and partner organizations, the local organizers of the festival have
incurred a cumulative loss of approximately rupees Seven lakhs over the past
3 years. One of the reasons is that the festival does not accept any
corporate funding and has received little support from Government
departments and public trusts. Major expenses incurred have been for travel,
hire of equipment, halls, publications and accommodation and food for
filmmakers and activists who attend the annual event.

We appeal to our friends and well-wishers (Organizations/Institutions as
well) to *join the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity* and thus support this
alternative film festival, so that we can address the current financial
crisis and also plan for the future. There are several ways to become part
of the ViBGYOR Film Fraternity:

1. Contribute Rs. 10, 000 ($ 300 for people outside India) and become a *Patron
Member of ViBGYOR Film Fraternity*
2. Contribute Rs. 5, 000 ($ 150 for people outside India) and become an
Associate Member of *ViBGYOR Film Fraternity*
3. Contribute Rs. 100 a month or Rs. 1000/- as one time payment and be a
Member of the *ViBGYOR Support Group*
4. Contribute any amount as a support gesture

Contributors to the ViBGYOR Fund, apart from becoming eligible for different
types of Memberships, will be listed on our website and in publications like
the ViBGYOR Souvenir, the monthly News Letter and the upcoming Festival
Book. They will be entitled to one Guest Pass entry to ViBGYOR Annual Film
Festival and associated activities. An e-group will link all friends and
supporters of ViBGYOR, with monthly updates on ViBGYOR events and concerns.

We hope to collect at least rupees 10 lakhs towards the deficit in the past
and for the activities we have planned for the next three years. If you are
interested in supporting this initiative, please write a *DD/cheque to
`ViBGYOR Film Collective' payable at Thrissur* and mail it to the address
below. Or you may directly transfer the money to the ViBGYOR Collective
account (a/c number: *110533, Catholic Syrian Bank, Thrissur Town Branch*).
Please intimate us and provide us with your postal address so that we can
send you the receipt.

ViBGYOR Film Festival Office
Chetana, Kalliath Square, Palace Road
Thrissur: 680 020, Kerala, INDIA