[Reader-list] my view on cellular silent day on 30/01/09 by Ranjan Kamath

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:12:06 IST 2009

Dear Bipin,

You are absolutely right that, ' Modi mask, chhapan ki chhati is one type of
publicity gimmick and nothing to do with Hindutva', I think it has got to do
a lot with Modittva. In this regard can one not argue that by projecting
himself as over and above the ideology of a political party or foregrounding
himself over any other issue such as development or governance, Modi in this
regard managed to occupy more space where nothing else matters.

I paste for your benefit an excerpt from an article written by Swapan
Dasgupta in Tehelka on various campaign strategies used by Arun Jaitely who
was also the BJP prabhari for Gujarat-

Jaitley faced another problem in Gujarat. A section of the RSS and Modi's
detractors within the party were wary of any campaign which focussed on the
iconic chief minister. Jaitley overruled these objections brusquely and
insisted that the entire campaign be centred on Modi. His logic was simple:
"Modi's personal popularity was greater than that of the BJP". In his view,
in a Congress versus BJP fight, both sides were equal; in a Congress versus
Modi fight, the winner was pre-determined.

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main39.asp?filename=Ne070608master_ceremonies.asp

If Modi was as efficient as an administrator as he claimed he was, then
where was the need for any gimickry or iconoclasm? Did voters not elect the
quiet MP CM Shivraj Singh Chauhan again and did the incumbent CM, not invite
Mr. Modi during election time with a request to stay away from MP?  Why was
there  no gimickry, no iconoclasm, no mass murder, no rapes.  no need for
any paranoia, or any chappan ki chatti during MP elections? The election was
fought and won on development issues was it not?

If Modi is such an iconic figure then where was the need for FCI or the
National Health Survey and other agencis to suggest that more than three
crore gujaraties are suffering from malnutrition, anemia or low body mass

Regards

Taha