[Reader-list] The Pink Chaddi Campaign (Aditya Raj Kaul)

Rohan DSouza virtuallyme at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:25:17 IST 2009

The media especially the electronic media of the 24/7 variety have hardly
come out in shining colours recently, given their sensationalist coverage of
variety of events starting from the Mumbai terror strikes to the recent
Mangalore pub attack. Restrained and balanced reporting doesn't feature in
their scheme of things as this wouldn't go with eye ball grabbing, shrill
and voyueristic coverage. However, it is due to this media picking up the
Magalore pub story  that the agenda of the BJP government in Karnataka is at
least coming out to some extent in the open through the responses and
reactions of the state government.

Take for example, the announcement made by the Home Minister of Karnatka,
Acharya, of 'appointing an Ombudsman to monitor and control media reportage'
*. When such proposals come from political parties that subscribe to and
fawn over fascist parties of the past and their modus operandi , then this
announcement needs to be taken and responded to very seriously. Terrorising
women, minorities, dalits and other vulnerable groups and the media control
(blackout?) proposed, the Gujarat model so dear to CM Yeddyurappa's heart,
is well on its way to being rolled out.

Rohan

http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/09/stories/2009020957130100.htm

* *State may appoint media ombudsman * Staff Correspondent * Media
overreacting: Acharya; it will be death of democracy, says CPI(M) *

* V.S. Acharya *

MANGALORE: The State Government will consider appointing an Ombudsman to
monitor and control media reportage, Home Minister V.S. Acharya said in
Mangalore on Sunday. He blamed the media for "overreacting" to and
"unnecessarily hyping up" the recent spate of vigilante attacks by alleged
Hindutva groups.

Addressing a gathering of top government officials, civil rights activists
and representatives of Opposition parties from the districts of Dakshina
Kannada and Udupi, at a 'peace committee meeting' at the Deputy
Commissioner's office, Mr. Acharya said the freedom of the press could not
be limitless. "The role of the Ombudsman will be to screen media reports
that lack objectivity and pronounce 'judgments' on issues. The Ombudsman
will also entertain complaints from the general public about media reports
they find objectionable," he said.

His proposal met with sharp criticism at the meeting. District secretary of
the Communist Party of India (Marxist) B. Madhava said it was an attempt to
prevent the media from reporting freely and fairly on the 'misrule' of the
Bharatiya Janata Party Government.

"If the State Government goes ahead with this fascist move, it will be the
death of democracy," he said.

The spokesperson for the Mangalore Catholic Diocese, Onil D'Souza, told Mr.
Acharya that he should be concentrating on the issue and not blaming the
media. "It is the prerogative of the media to play up or underplay an event.
It does not undo the fact that there has been a systemic failure to curb the
menace of vigilantism," he said.

Alleging that the State Government was going soft on the "Hindutva brand of
terrorism," Ismail N., principal of the Badria College, said all acts of
violence aimed at instilling fear in the minds of the people should be
considered as terrorism. He included moral vigilantism in that list and
demanded strict action against those responsible for the recent attacks.

Vice-president of the Kanara Chambers of Commerce and Industry G.G. Mohandas
Prabhu said the recent vigilante attacks had adversely affected investments
in the region.

District in-charge Minister J. Krishna Palemar said whatever happened in the
district or region should remain within it.

"The city has been projected in poor light across the world because of the
mistakes of the media," he said. Mr. Acharya said the State Government would
ensure peaceful observance of Valentine's Day. "The police will be given a
free hand to deal with any untoward incident that may arise on February 14,"
he said. Superintendent of Police (Dakshina Kannada) N. Satish Kumar said
120 more police constables would be pressed into service on Valentine's Day
to thwart any attempt to disrupt festivities.

Mr. Acharya also said the long-standing demand for a police commissionerate
in the city would be met by March 31 this year. Once that happens, the
present Superintendent of Police will be made in-charge of the rest of the
district and a new officer will be brought in to take on the responsibility
of Police Commissioner.

In response, a participant pointed out that there was not a single senior
police officer from the minority communities. "This is a planned conspiracy
on the part of the BJP to 'saffronise' the police force," he alleged.