[Reader-list] Defend the Right to Love

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Tue Feb 10 17:37:37 IST 2009

*DEFEND THE RIGHT TO LOVE*

Love crosses all barriers!

Love knows no caste nor class!

Love has no religion nor region!

Love sees no gender nor sexuality!

 The recent incidents of fundamentalist violence in many parts of Karnataka
has led to the curbing of freedoms of common people. One of the point of
attacks has been to curb the right of people to have friends and lovers
across communities. A fixed and divisive idea of Indian culture is being
thrust upon us. While we resist this violence, we also need to clearly state
that we see love as a basic human right which must be defended from attack
by fundamentalists of all hues.

 The idea of love which cuts across all boundaries, is part of every culture
around the globe. The stories of Heer - Ranjha, Nala - Damayanti, Dushyanta
- Shakuntale, Krishna, Rukmini, Romeo-Juliet and even John and Abhishek in
Dostana are some among the many!

 It is time for us to send a strong message to those who say that the 'right
to love' is not part of our culture. They speak from a position of ignorance
of a rich history of Love which is an integral part of our culture.

 Please Join us to celebrate this precious right. Lets stand in solidarity
and strengthen the choices and lives of those who love.... unabashedly.

 Lets come together to celebrate love and send a message to those who
propagate hate.

 All you need to do is wear something RED OR PINK and meet us at Mahatma
Gandhi Statue on MG Road at 12 o'clock. We will walk through MG road and
Brigade road. If you don't catch us at the Gandhi Statue look for us, we'll
be painting the town red... and pink. Join us with friends, family and
lovers!

 Time: 12:00 am to 2:00 PM

Date: Valentine's Day, 14th February, 2009.

 For further details contact: