[Reader-list] my view on cellular silent day on 30/01/09 by Ranjan Kamath

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:59:11 IST 2009

Dear Bipin

Why do you think that Modi 'has to fight' at all? Why do you think amongst
BJP leaders, people who are perceived as honest, hard working, exceptionally
dedicated, efficient and incorruptible, have to often suffer loss of face
and humiliation from these bunch of biased NGO's and pseudo-secularist
press. We have to remember that Modi is not alone here, with Advani as a
worthy party elder, they form a formidable duo.

Why is it that people who are engaged in the business of rhetoric and mass
persuasion vilify these gifted organizers? From a particular perspective
this Modi/Advani 'down-down' drive is completely irrational  isn't. I think,
these people from the English language press particularly must hang their
head in shame. They are not doing a honest, decent job. They must propagate
all the good qualities of Modi. After all, it seems that we have a tradition
in India, that for any politician to be considered as a great modern ruler
they must have blood on thier hands. Be it a Abdullah or a Nehru, or a Rajiv
or a Modi or a Advani or a Mahanta or a Patnayak or a Thackery etc etc. It
seems though that apart from Nehru who did not discriminate on the basis of
religion while letting blood and hence was secular in a way, all other
gentlemen were driven cynical objective to let only one kind of blood to
grab power.

I would like to take a diversion at this point and I wish to pose a question
to Inder Salim- what does he think about the idea of universal blood red as
a sort of a metaphorical unifier which makes us all Indians. In a way this
colour has flowed from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and from Gujarat to Arunachal.
In a way we are all victims here.

Bipin after reading your mail I had the most profound experience. There was
so much of clarity and rationality in your words that I almost felt empathy
for the loneliness of Modi, even with so many people, this man seems so
alone, so lost in his own world, his dreams of a Ram Rajya, a Sangh Rajya, a
Rajya where there is no one to discriminate, where Hindustan can become
truly a Hindu-sthan, where only Hindus live, where only Hindi is spoken.
This is such a fantastic idea. A grand idea. But please tell me Bipin do you
honestly and sincerely believe that Modi will be able to rise above the
Asmita of 5 crore Gujaratis, of which he could not feed, FEED, 3 crore of
them, forget about his empty rhetoric about Asmita and disgusting notions
about cleansing Bharat from all its impurities, this man, howsoever, honest,
hard working, exceptionally dedicated, efficient, incorruptible he may be,
he was not able to put roti in the mouths of half of the population he was
supposed to govern.

There is famous Bengali saying, give me rice or else I will eat up your map.
For moment if we project Modi to be in charge of a 100 crore Indians, what
do we have? 50 crore people suffering from mal nutrition, low body mass
index and anemia?

Warm regards

Taha