[Reader-list] From the newspaper.

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:08:02 IST 2009

Dear Jeebesh

>I hope you are not proposing a "steady state" precariousness beyond all
events.>

Maybe I am. Maybe because I would like to think that in so far as
interaction of a human being with another goes we cannot entirely rule out
precarity. I would not articulate this precarity as 'beyond all events'
though but rather I would locate it within the agency of all human beings.
Here when I talk about precarity, I refer to the idea of precarity in
general rather than a specific reading of precarity with respect to work as
I meant in my earlier mail.

The 'sense of fluctuation' that you refer to is perhaps what marx term as
'oscillation' again and again in his works. Fluctuation is more widely used
now to describe the oscillation of stocks, for instance.

You are right in a way, because I cannot think of precarity without
fluctuation. I was trying to point towards a view that all this 'now and
then' analysis is perhaps an incongruous conjecture. Maybe because 'chaotic
inflation' exists in some form, we just have to find a way to not discard
it.

Regards

Taha