[Reader-list] Canadian Labour International Film Festival 2009: Final Call

OISHIK SIRCAR oishiksircar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:40:24 IST 2009

FINAL CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR 2009
Canadian Labour International Film Festival (CLiFF)
= Take One =

*Films due 31 July, 2009*
The Selection Committee of the Canadian Labour International Film Festival
(CLiFF) invites you to submit your film or video for possible screening in
the Canadian Labour International Film Festival (CLiFF), taking place
November 22 - 27, 2009 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

*About the Film Festival*
The inaugural Canadian Labour International Film Festival (CLiFF) will be
held November 22 - 27, 2009 at the Bloor Cinema, located at 506 Bloor Street
West, Toronto ON, M5S 1Y3 (www.bloorcinema.com). The festival will draw
thousands of trade unionists, community members, youth, activists, students,
educators, artists, and allies from across Toronto, Ontario, Canada and, we
hope, the world.

The festival will feature film and ! video made by, for, and about the world
of work and those who do it, in Canada and Internationally. They will be
about unionised workers and also those not represented by unions. We
encourage projects regarding any and every aspect of work, as well as issues
affecting work or workers.

We hope that CLiFF becomes a place for workers to come together to discuss
what affects them and to share their challenges, their celebrations and
their intense creativity. We hope this can be done in person and using the
valuable tools which come to us through the internet.

We are looking for films on a wide spectrum of issues affecting the whole
spectrum of society. We seek films about privatization, youth, First Nations
people, people of colour, immigrants, refugees, detainees, health and
safety, resistance, art, poetry, women, lesbian, gay, bisexual,
transgendered people, taxi drivers, truck drivers, rickshaw drivers â€"
anyone who does anything considered work.

We also encourage the widest possible variety of films:! from do cumentaries
to drama to poetry/poetic treatments to comedy and animation â€" in short,
anything you can possibly think of. If it isn’t dull and boring, we’ll
like it even better.

The festival will include panel discussions with filmmakers, film subjects,
experts, activists, family members, and those who work to change the system
to help everyone within it.

Preview copies will not be returned. Submissions that we keep are included
as part of our Labour Film Library which we will use for educational work.

We can most easily deal with DVD/VHS format. If you have other formats which
you would like to submit please contact us. If you have a film in process
that you would like to submit but are unsure about getting it to us in time,
please contact us.

*About the CLiFF Selection Committee*
The CLiFF Selection Committee believes in justice at work and society in
general. We actively resist racism, elitism, classism,! sexism, colonialism,
homophobia, ableism, and ageism. The Selection Committee hopes to foster
healthy communities built on fairness at work and at all levels of society.
Visit our website: www.labourfilms.ca or write to info at labourfilms.ca

*Deadline*
Submissions must be received no later than 31 July, 2009, at 5pm. Early
submissions are encouraged and appreciated. TWO COPIES of each submission
are required. If you would like your submission returned please let us know.
Submissions that we keep are included as part of our Labour Film Library
which we will use for ongoing educational work. The entry form may be
submitted by mail or fax prior to media and other materials being shipped.

*Selection*
A selection committee will view all eligible submissions. All decisions by
the selection committee are final.

*Eligibility*
1Â Â Â  The Festival is open to all film and video makers.
2Â!  Â Â  The Festival is open to all lengths but there is a stron! g prefer
ence for shorter works.
3Â Â Â  Films and videos must be in English or have English sub-titles.
French subtitles are also accepted (and encouraged)
4Â Â Â  Works in progress are ineligible (except by recommendation of the
Selection Committee).

*Special Calls*
In addition to our open-call, where we look at anything and everything, the
Festival is especially looking for:

Flash features, micro documentaries, archival oddities and cell phone video
submissions under 5 minutes in length. Accepted formats include DVD, VHS,
Quicktime, .AVI, Flash. If you wish to be considered by the CLiFF Selection
Committee, mark the appropriate place on the submission form. Open to all.

*
Technical Guidelines*
1Â Â Â  All submissions must be on NTSC standard (PAL may be accommodated
with prior notice).
2    All submissions must be on DVD or VHS. DVD’s must be region-1 or
“region-freeâ! €.
3    Preview VHS and DVD’s will not be returned although applicants are
invited to pick up all preview materials in person after the festival.
4Â Â Â  Do not send master tapes unless asked to do so.
5Â Â Â  Multiple entries are accepted but each entry must be accompanied by
a separate form and submission tape or disc.
6Â Â Â  All tapes and discs must contain only the movie being submitted,
cued to the front of the tape or disc. In other words, do not submit tapes
or discs containing more than one entry or with material other than the
movie being submitted.
7Â Â Â  We strongly suggest that all submitted materials begin with at least
two-seconds of black ideally followed by an 8-to-2 countdown and another
two-seconds of black at the end of the movie. This is not mandatory, but it
helps us do our jobs faster.
8Â Â Â  Preview tapes and discs must be labeled with title, running time and
contact information. Poorly labeled material makes it ! difficult for us to
work with.
9Â Â Â  The entrant is res! ponsible for all shipping fees.
10    Entries from outside of Canada must be clearly labeled: “Festival
submission, for cultural purposes only. No commercial value”. The Festival
will refuse any submission with customs duties owing.

*Notification*
Entrants will be notified of acceptance, via email, by 31 August, 2009.

*Publicity Materials*
If you submit a movie please send, via email: B&W and/or color stills from
the film. The sooner you send us photos the better the chances they will be
used in publicity materials. All other documents (in Microsoft Word, RTF or
plain ASCII text format) or photos (in JPEG or TIFF format) may be submitted
via email (if overall file size is less than 5 MB). For larger file sizes
submit via CD mailed to the address below.

*Shipping*
To avoid damage to any materials shipped, please use bubble wrap mailers or
boxes when mailing submissions. Please! label all media with the title and
date of the work.

Note: Shipping costs are the sole responsibility of the owner/distributor.
CLiFF is only responsible for the return shipping of the exhibited
film/video to its owner/distributor. Our staff will take every precaution in
handling all films and videos. However, CLiFF cannot accept or assume
responsibility for damage to, or loss of, materials submitted.

CLiFF will consider paying for the cost of shipping materials for
international or youth entries. Please contact us via email to make your
request.

*Final Delivery*
If your film or video is selected, you may be asked to deliver a final
screening copy. You can indicate that your DVD or VHS preview copy be used
for screening purposes. If a final screening copy is not received the
festival will screen your DVD or VHS preview copy. Additional accepted
formats are miniDV, 35mm film, 16mm film.

*Submission Fe! e*
There are no submission fees.

Submi! ssion Ad dress
Submissions should be addressed to:
CLiFF Selection Committee
Canadian Labour International Film Festival
50 Cornwall Street, Unit #314
Toronto, Ontario
Canada  M5A 4K5

Download the entire Call for Submissions:
http://labourfilms.ca/Call_2009_CLiFF_finalcall2.pdf

Download the SUBMISSION FORM ONLY:
http://labourfilms.ca/Call_2009_CLiFF_FORM.pdf

CLiFF Board of Directors